History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Peter

A Grade II* Listed Building in Swainsthorpe, Norfolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.5613 / 52°33'40"N

Longitude: 1.2718 / 1°16'18"E

OS Eastings: 621863

OS Northings: 300970

OS Grid: TG218009

Mapcode National: GBR VH5.JC2

Mapcode Global: WHMTT.HWV9

Entry Name: Church of St Peter

Listing Date: 26 November 1959

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1169726

English Heritage Legacy ID: 227228

Location: Swainsthorpe, South Norfolk, Norfolk, NR14

County: Norfolk

District: South Norfolk

Civil Parish: Swainsthorpe

Traditional County: Norfolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Church of England Parish: Swainsthorpe St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Norwich

Find accommodation in
Mulbarton

Listing Text

SWAINSTHORPE
TG 20 SW
4/90 Church of St. Peter
26/11/59
G.V. II*
Parish church. C12 west tower. Remainder C14. South windows 1443. Restored
1885 when south porch rebuilt. Flint with ashlar dressings and plain tile
roofs. West tower, nave, north aisle and chancel. 2 stage circular tower
with C14 octagonal belfry. 2-light renewed Perpendicular west window. Lancet
to west side of ringing chamber. Alternating facets of belfry have 2-light
Perpendicular windows under depressed heads. Crenellated parapet. No west
window to aisle. Gabled south porch on low diagonal buttresses. Moulded arch
on circular responds. 2-light square-headed cusped side windows. 2 3-light
Perpendicular south nave windows with panel tracery. Wave moulded north aisle
doorway and one 2-light square-headed aisle window. 2 light mouchette east
aisle window. Stepped side buttress to south nave east and 2 2-light
square-headed south chancel windows of Perpendicular design and one similar
north window. 3-light east window of similar design and C19. Interior. Tall
wave moulded tower arch without responds. Re-cut C13 font : central drum and
8 orbiting marble columns support octagonal bowl with 2 incised arches to each
panel. Restored 5 bay nave roof of moulded principals on arched braces
dropping to moulded wall posts, themselves on head stops. One tier butt
purlins. Winged. angels as bosses. Ridge piece. 2 bay C14 octagonal arcade
to north aisle with moulded capitals and bases. Double hollow chamfered
arches. Narrower C19 arch to east. Triple chamfered C19 chancel arch without
responds. Chancel roof as nave. 4 C15 poppyheads in chancel stalls. Pierced
and cusped piscina. Memorial brass in chancel to Gilbert Havers 1628 :
inscription only; he was Captain of Infantry to Elizabeth I.


Listing NGR: TG2186300970

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.