This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.5829 / 52°34'58"N
Longitude: 0.5728 / 0°34'22"E
OS Eastings: 574410
OS Northings: 301449
OS Grid: TF744014
Mapcode National: GBR P7F.1N1
Mapcode Global: WHKR6.RBZR
Entry Name: Church of St John
Listing Date: 23 June 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1169766
English Heritage Legacy ID: 220936
Location: Oxborough, Breckland, Norfolk, PE33
Civil Parish: Oxborough
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Oxborough St John the Evangelist
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
TF 7401 OXBOROUGH OXBOROUGH ROAD
(south east side)
13/33 Church of St.John
Parish church. Medieval and later. Bedingfeld chantry chapel founded in
1496. Flint with ashlar and some brick dressings. Ashlar facing to chantry
chapel. Lead roofs. North aisle with porch; base of north wall of west tower;
chancel with north vestry and chantry chapel to south; part of south aisle
wall. (The rest collapsed in 1948). North aisle with 3-light C14 west window
with mouchettes. Porch with moulded entrance and surviving moulded wall
plates. Doorway of 2 plain-chamfered orders with hood mould. 5 2-light panel-
traceried north windows anda 3-light east window in similar style. 6
surviving 2light late-Medieval clearstorey windows. South wall with 3
surviving 2-light late-Medieval windows. Chancel with 2 3-light panel-
-traceried north windows, a restored 5-light panel-traceried east window and
a similar 3-light south window. Moulded priest's doorway. Chantry chapel
with one partly blocked 3-light panel-traceried east window and 3 C16 3-light
windows without tracery beneath 4-centred arches. Westernmost bay of chantry
chapel in flint with a restored 3-light late-Medieval window. C15 sanctus
bellcote with badly weathered blind tracery. 6-bay north arcade of octagonal
piers supporting plain-chamfered arches of 2 orders. Late Medieval north
aisle roof with moulded principals and purlins and spandrel tracery. One
and a half bays of south arcade survive blocked with an to chantry
chapel. Interior. Chancel with blocked C16 arcade of 2 bays formerly opening
into chantry chapel. 4-centred arches and carved polygonal capitals.
Late-Medieval arch-braced roof. Piscina cum sedilia in clunch with miniature
rib vaulting and carved decoration including blind tracery and a frieze of
angels. Surviving traces of original paint. Bedingfeld Chantry Chapel.
Retains original arch-braced and roll-moulded roof with carved spandrels.
3 carved wall posts with seated figures beneath canopies. 2 celebrated early
C16 terra cotta tombs (A.P. Baggs "C16 Terra-Cotta Tombs in East Anglia".
Archaeological Journal, 125, 1968). 3 other marble monuments of high quality.
Listing NGR: TF7441001449
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings