History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Mayflower House

A Grade II Listed Building in Colne Engaine, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9368 / 51°56'12"N

Longitude: 0.6706 / 0°40'14"E

OS Eastings: 583680

OS Northings: 229844

OS Grid: TL836298

Mapcode National: GBR QJM.GCT

Mapcode Global: VHJJ6.KLW3

Entry Name: Mayflower House

Listing Date: 3 November 1972

Last Amended: 10 April 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1169836

English Heritage Legacy ID: 115859

Location: Colne Engaine, Braintree, Essex, CO6

County: Essex

District: Braintree

Civil Parish: Colne Engaine

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Colne Engaine St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Earls Colne

Listing Text

TL 82 NW COLNE ENGAINE ELMS HALL ROAD
(north side)

5/10 Mayflower House
3.11.72 (Formerly listed as
House c.150 yards
west of Elms Hall)

- II

House. Circa 1600, extended in C20. Timber framed, plastered, roofed with
handmade red clay tiles. 3 bays facing S, with stack in middle bay, forming a
lobby-entrance. Full-length lean-to extension to rear, and C20 extension of one
storey with attics to rear of right end. 2 storeys and attics. 3-window range
of C20 casements. Central C20 door. 4 octagonal chimney shafts, each with a
roll moulding at the base, rebuilt at the top. Jowled posts, close studding,
edge-halved and bridled scarf in wallplate. The first and attic floors have
chamfered beams with lamb's tongue stops, and plain joists of horizontal
section. Mortices for early glazed windows. Blocked window on first floor at
centre front, possibly with ovolo mullions and saddle bars concealed in plaster.
The stack is behind the axis, leaving space for a stair in the lobby-entrance,
now missing; the flues emerge at the ridge. On the ground floor 2 large
wood-burning hearths, the right mantel beam renewed, the left mantel beam
original, with cranked upper surface, chamfered below with mason's mitre stops,
and chamfered brick jambs. On the first floor, one hearth to right of stack
with chamfered jambs, 4-centred arch and original plaster. Clasped purlin roof
with straight wind-bracing. RCHM 4 reported a modern date 1620 on the W gable
and an original bay window at the W end of the house with 6 transomed lights
with moulded mullions, both missing in 1985. Formerly known as nos. 1 and 2,
Railway Cottages and Elms Hall Farm Cottages. A photograph and plan appear in
A.L. Cummings, 'The Framed Houses of Massachusetts Bay, 1625-1725', 1978, as
prototypical of the earliest New England houses.


Listing NGR: TL8368029844

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.