History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Feering, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8504 / 51°51'1"N

Longitude: 0.7182 / 0°43'5"E

OS Eastings: 587313

OS Northings: 220358

OS Grid: TL873203

Mapcode National: GBR QKN.VTH

Mapcode Global: VHKG2.DRKC

Entry Name: Church Farmhouse

Listing Date: 29 July 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1169878

English Heritage Legacy ID: 116443

Location: Feering, Braintree, Essex, CO5

County: Essex

District: Braintree

Civil Parish: Feering

Built-Up Area: Feering

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Feering All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Feering

Listing Text

FEERING THE STREET
TL 8620-8720 (south side)

7/121 Church Farmhouse

GV II

House, now divided into 2 dwellings. Circa 1400, altered in CL7 and C20.
Timber framed, plastered, roofed with handmade red plain tiles. 2-bay hall
range facing NW with internal stack of c.1600 in left bay, 3-bay crosswing to
left with C19 internal stack at rear, C20 external stack to left, and
single-storey lean-to extensions to left and rear; 3-bay crosswing at right end
of hall, c.1600, with C17 central stack. Both crosswings extend forwards, the
right crosswing further than the left. C18 extensions to left of right
crosswing, forming twin gables facing left. 2 storeys. NW elevation, scattered
fenestration, all C20 casements, and C20 door in quadrant porch. SW elevation,
2-window range of C20 casements with rectangular leading, and half-glazed door
in doorcase of c.1800 with wooden half-columns and frieze with triglyphs. At
the rear is a similar door and doorcase, frieze missing or covered. The left
crosswing has an underbuilt jetty to the front, and in the front bay heavy plain
joists of near-square section are exposed; elsewhere in this wing and at this
end of the hall range the timber frame is mainly covered by plaster. The hall
range has been raised approx. one metre in the C17. In the right bay, large
wood-burning hearth, of which the rear part has been demolished, and inserted
floor of c.1600, comprising a chamfered axial beam with lamb's tongue stops and
plain joists of vertical section. In the right crosswing, wide curved tension
braces are trenched inside heavy studding. Jowled posts. On the ground floor 2
wood-burning hearths both with internal splays; the front hearth has an
ovolo-moulded mantel beam, the rear hearth has a chamfered mantel beam with
lamb's tongue and bar stops, and minor repairs to brickwork. In the rear bay a
medieval timber has been re-used as a floor beam, and the floor has been lifted
to compensate for subsidence of the right wall. On the first floor there is a
cast iron grate of c.1800 facing forwards, incomplete.


Listing NGR: TL8731320358

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.