This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.8087 / 52°48'31"N
Longitude: 1.4517 / 1°27'6"E
OS Eastings: 632734
OS Northings: 329051
OS Grid: TG327290
Mapcode National: GBR XGZ.V5W
Mapcode Global: WHMSR.8NKL
Entry Name: Honing Hall
Listing Date: 16 April 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1169963
English Heritage Legacy ID: 224277
Location: Honing, North Norfolk, Norfolk, NR28
District: North Norfolk
Civil Parish: Honing
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Honing with Crostwight
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
HONING LONG LANE
TG 32 NW
6/62 Honing Hall
House. 1748, altered by Sir John Soane 1788-90 and Humphry Repton 1792.
Brick with roof of black glazed pantiles. 5 bays in 2½ storeys and basement.
Centre 3 bays broken forward under pediment, the pediment with cartouche and
fruit and foliage trails. Central door beneath pedimented doorcase. Unfluted
Ionic columns and pilasters support plain entablature and pediment with
modillions. All windows are sashes with glazing bars beneath gauged skewback
arches. Platband at first floor added by Repton 1792. Timber eaves cornice
with consoles. Hipped roof with flat and 2 symmetrically placed stacks.
West return with one bay before full height bowed extension by Soane 1788-90.
3 sash windows each floor with glazing bars and gauged skewback arches (all
sash windows appear to have been replaced at this time). Repton's platband
continues into returns. Console timber eaves cornice as facade. East return
of 5 bays. Central ground floor window converted to French window. Dining
room to right with tripartite sash window. Otherwise fenestration of sashes
as before. Console timber eaves cornice as facade. 2 storey 5 bay service
range to rear 1868-70 by R.M. Phipson of Norwich and Ipswich. Double pile
plan. Fenestration of sash windows with glazing bars beneath gauged skewback
arches. Interior. Entrance hall details 1748. Fireplace with shouldered
timber surround carrying rectangular overmantle with mirror. Above is pediment
on scrolled consoles. Late C18 staircase with wreathed handrail and wrought
iron balusters, attributed to Repton. Main staircase of 1748 relocated
1868-70. Closed string with widely spaced turned balusters. Ramped handrail.
Library contains C19 plaster fireplace with female caryatid figures.
Listing NGR: TG3273429051
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings