History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary the Virgin

A Grade II* Listed Building in Arkesden, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9901 / 51°59'24"N

Longitude: 0.1573 / 0°9'26"E

OS Eastings: 548225

OS Northings: 234599

OS Grid: TL482345

Mapcode National: GBR LB1.BKK

Mapcode Global: VHHL8.P70R

Entry Name: Church of St Mary the Virgin

Listing Date: 21 February 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1170054

English Heritage Legacy ID: 121383

Location: Arkesden, Uttlesford, Essex, CB11

County: Essex

District: Uttlesford

Civil Parish: Arkesden

Built-Up Area: Arkesden

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Arkesden St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Clavering

Listing Text

ARKESDEN CHURCH GREEN
1.
5222
Church of St Mary
the Virgin
TL 4834 36/1 21.2.67

II*

2.
A flint rubble church with a C13 nave and chancel but very much restored in
1855. The west tower, roofs, clerestorey and chancel arch belong to the restoration.
When the C15 west tower was rebuilt in 1855 there was discovered the remains
of an earlier norman round tower. The nave arcades are of the C13, the north
arcade has circular piers and the south has octagonal. The chancel has 2 pairs
of lancet windows in the north and south walls. The south porch is C15. The
interior has some important monuments including a C15 effigy to a priest, with
a recumbent figure bisected by 2 arches situated in the north wall of the chancel,
an elaborate C15 canopied wall monument to Richard Cutte (d 1592) and his wife
with recumbent figures in the south aisle, and, in the west tower, a C17 marble
wall monument carved with sculls and branches and with 2 good busts of John
Withers (d 1692) and his wife. Thought to be by Roubilliac, but recently attributed
to Edward Pierce by Nickolaus Pevsner. There is also a military brass to Richard
Fox (1439). The church is situated on rising ground above the village and
it forms a prominent feature. Graded for its architectural, historical and
topographical value. (RCHM 1).


Listing NGR: TL4822534599

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.