History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Peter

A Grade II* Listed Building in Rayleigh, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5688 / 51°34'7"N

Longitude: 0.571 / 0°34'15"E

OS Eastings: 578281

OS Northings: 188682

OS Grid: TQ782886

Mapcode National: GBR PMM.M5J

Mapcode Global: VHJKW.VT7Q

Entry Name: Church of St Peter

Listing Date: 7 August 1952

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1170125

English Heritage Legacy ID: 116840

Location: Castle Point, Essex, SS7

County: Essex

District: Castle Point

Town: Castle Point

Electoral Ward/Division: St Peter's

Built-Up Area: Rayleigh

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Thundersley St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Rawreth

Listing Text

THUNDERSLEY CHURCH ROAD
TQ 78 NE
1/22 Church of St. Peter
7-8-52
- II*

Parish church. Circa 1200 Nave, north and south aisles, C15 bell turret. C20
south porch incorporating old timbers. Former Chancel of unknown date
demolished and a large c.1966 building by Donald Insall and Associates erected
in its place. Original church, plastered stone rubble, flint and brick. Red
plain tiled roof, shingle spire. West wall. West window C15 of 3 cinquefoil
lights, vertical tracery over, 2 centred head, label with head stops, below this
window is the blocked C15 doorway with chamfered jambs, 3 centre arched head.
North aisle C19/C20 2 centre arched window, square label over. 4 buttresses to
this wall, North wall of north aisle, eastern C19/C20 3 light window, square
head and label. C14 north doorway, chamfered 2 centre arch. Vertically boarded
door. South aisle, south wall, 2 restored windows of 2 trefoil lights under
square heads. Gabled weatherboarded south porch with cambered tie beam. The
larger and taller C20 extension with hanging tile or shingle plinth and
continuous windows over to north and south with large, steeply pitched red tiled
roof. Stone brick east wall, the centre breaks forward with returns of stained
glass. Interior. Nave roof of 7 cants, a heavy cambered tie beam supports the
4 armed cross quadrate crown post. North and south arcades of 3 bays with 2
centred arches of 2 hollow chamfered orders, columns and responds alternatively
round and oval. Moulded capitals carved with stiff leaf foliage all of
different designs, moulded bases. Bell turret with angle posts, east 2 centre
arched bracing, 3 pairs of side girts to north and south with upper saltire
bracing and centre posts. Font now situated in C20 extension, octagonal bowl
with quatrefoiled panels enclosing square flowers, of unknown date. Stained
glass quarries in south east window of south aisle. RCHM 1.


Listing NGR: TQ7828188682

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.