History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

7, High Street

A Grade II Listed Building in Kelvedon, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8337 / 51°50'1"N

Longitude: 0.697 / 0°41'49"E

OS Eastings: 585920

OS Northings: 218448

OS Grid: TL859184

Mapcode National: GBR QKT.WL0

Mapcode Global: VHKG8.15BM

Entry Name: 7, High Street

Listing Date: 21 December 1967

Last Amended: 29 July 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1170131

English Heritage Legacy ID: 116473

Location: Kelvedon, Braintree, Essex, CO5

County: Essex

District: Braintree

Civil Parish: Kelvedon

Built-Up Area: Kelvedon

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Kelvedon St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Rivenhall

Listing Text

KELVEDON HIGH STREET
TL 8418-8518 (north-west side)

9/160 No. 7 (formerly listed
21.12.67 as No. 4, Knights
Templar Terrace)

GV II

Part of inn, now a house. Late C16, altered in C18 and late C19. Timber
framed, plastered with facade of yellow brick in Flemish bond, roofed with
handmade red plain tiles. Originally a late C16 extension to the early C16
mansion to the left (nos. 1, 3, and 5, High Street, item 9/159, q.v.) which
after the Dissolution became an inn, comprising one ground-floor room, to the
right of it a large wagon-way (both approx. 3.70 metres high), and 2 rooms over.
This formerly extended approx. one metre further forwards, now cut back to align
with nos. 1, 3 and 5. Late C16 internal stack at left end, against earlier
stack of no. 5, and joined to it at roof level only. Wagon-way blocked in C18,
with stack to rear. 2 C18 adjacent wings to rear, with hipped roofs. C19
single-storey lean-to extension with slate roof beyond right wing. 2 storeys.
Ground floor, one late C19 tripartite sash of 2-2-2 lights. First floor, 2 late
C19 sashes of 2 lights. Late C19 4-panel door, and blocked overlight in stilted
segmental arch with false keystone. Dogtooth band at first floor. Dogtooth
cornice and plain parapet with stone coping. Hipped roof. The yellow brick
facade continues part-way round the right return, and is continued as 4 courses
of red bricks to one course of yellow bricks, in Flemish bond. The dogtooth
band and parapet extend 1.5 metres along this return. Rear elevation, ground
floor, one C20 picture window; first floor, one early C19 sash of 12 lights. On
the ground floor the posts and straight bracing at the right side of the former
wagon-way are exposed internally, with C18 studding behind. The studded
partition between the wagon-way and the room to the left has been removed.
Plain transverse beam and axial bridging beams, chamfered joists of horizontal
section with step stops. C20 grate. At the left side 2 brick piers support an
arched wood-burning hearth above, which has a front jamb 0.61 metre wide, and a
rear jamb reduced in width; chamfered mantel beam with step stops. Within the
roof the flue is joined into the adjacent stack, which has 2 diagonal shafts,
but rebuilt to a rectangular section before it emerges from the roof. Original
C16 pointing of V-section survives within the roof, and inside the room above
the hearth, a rare feature of exceptional archaeological interest, meriting
special care. In the rear wall of the room over the wagon-way is a blocked
window of early glazed type, with 2 ovolo mullions and 2 of 3 diamond saddle
bars in situ. Clasped purlin roof. In the party wall with no. 5 the studding
is exposed, with mortices in the girt for a former floor, removed for the
present stair. In the rear wings, boxed transverse beams; on the first floor,
cast iron ducknest grate of c.1800. The mansion to the left had become a major
inn by 1604, and had been converted to tenements by 1791. The blocking of the
wagon-way and the alteration of this wing to a house appears to correspond with
this date (B.L. Kentish, Kelvedon and its Antiquities, 1974, 39-41). RCHM 39.


Listing NGR: TL8592018448

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.