History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

77, High Street

A Grade II Listed Building in Earls Colne, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9274 / 51°55'38"N

Longitude: 0.7025 / 0°42'8"E

OS Eastings: 585910

OS Northings: 228883

OS Grid: TL859288

Mapcode National: GBR QJV.4DR

Mapcode Global: VHKFP.4T69

Entry Name: 77, High Street

Listing Date: 7 August 1952

Last Amended: 10 April 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1170187

English Heritage Legacy ID: 115926

Location: Earls Colne, Braintree, Essex, CO6

County: Essex

District: Braintree

Civil Parish: Earls Colne

Built-Up Area: Earls Colne

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Earls Colne St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Earls Colne

Listing Text

TL 8428-8528 EARLS COLNE HIGH STREET
(north side)

8/78 No. 77 (Formerly listed
7.8.52 as The Castle Inn)

GV II

House, now public house. C14-c.1600. Timber framed, plastered, roofed with
handmade red plain tiles. Left crosswing late C14 with C19 external stack to
left, right crosswing mid-C16, extended to rear c.1600, with axial stack.
Middle range c.1600 with axial stack at right end, on site of former open hall.
2 storeys. Both crosswings were formerly jettied and gabled to the street, now
with a continuous facade incised in imitation of ashlar, the roof of the middle
range oversailing those of the crosswings, with gablets. 4 C19 sashes with
marginal lights on ground floor and 3 on first floor. C20 door and C20 oriel
window under shared canopy. Main stack has 6 grouped diagonal shafts, stack in
right wing has 3 grouped diagonal shafts. Much of the frame is exposed
internally. Stop-chamfered and moulded beams. The right ground-floor room has
a wall-painting above the fireplace depicting the miraculous draught of fishes,
on each side of which is an hourglass, cherub's head, flower and skull, and a
pair of crouching lions with swags above, inscribed 'The houer runneth and Time
flieth as flower fadeth, so man dieth, sic transit gloria' (restored c.1700).
RCHM 6.


Listing NGR: TL8591028883

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.