This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.6184 / 50°37'6"N
Longitude: -3.5154 / 3°30'55"W
OS Eastings: 292887
OS Northings: 80953
OS Grid: SX928809
Mapcode National: GBR P1.HXT5
Mapcode Global: FRA 37JF.N81
Entry Name: The Orangery
Listing Date: 11 November 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1170208
English Heritage Legacy ID: 85980
Location: Mamhead, Teignbridge, Devon, EX6
Civil Parish: Mamhead
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Kenton All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
MAMHEAD MAMHEAD PARK
SX 98 SW
5/333 The Orangery
Garden building, converted to a house. Probably 1740s in origin, designed for Thomas
Ball (died 1749), the owner of Old Mamhead House, "a great planter and
sylviculturist" (Hussey). Hussey suggests that the original building may have been
inspired by Archer's water house at Chatsworth and may have had a cascade descending
from it. Designs for improvements at Old Mamhead by Robert Adam in 1769 are said to
include a drawing for the conversion of a water house to a temple and to refer to
this building (Hussey), which was later converted to a gardener's cottage. Ashlar
Bathstone faced on to rubble with Portland stone dressings and a Portland stone dome.
Sited to command a spectacular view to the east towards the Exe estuary, the view
framed by C18 tree planting with extensive new planting carried out by the present
Plan: L plan; the main range single-storey with a polygonal domed projection in the
centre and a rear left wing which is a later addition (information from owner).
Exterior: Single-storey. 5-sided central projection crowned with a dome and cupola,
2 bays to the left of the projection, 2 bays to the right. Deep plinth below a
moulded string, plain parapet with a moulded cornice above a moulded string. Left
and right pilasters crowned with urns, pilasters to the projections, the central bay
of the projection crowned with an oval stone tablet in a scrolled frame with a ball
finial. The dome pilasters and keyblocks. The central openings in the projection
has a window with round-headed glazing bars: the other windows in the projection and
in the left and right bays are 2-light mullioned windows with moulded stone frames
Interior: Not inspected at time of survey.
Documentation about the gardens of Old Mamhead is said to be held by the Fitzwilliam,
Museum in Cambridge. (Information from owner).
Hussey, C. English Countr Houses: Late Georgian (1958)
Listing NGR: SX9288780953
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings