History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Old Cavell Vicarage

A Grade II Listed Building in Swardeston, Norfolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.5751 / 52°34'30"N

Longitude: 1.2448 / 1°14'41"E

OS Eastings: 619964

OS Northings: 302423

OS Grid: TG199024

Mapcode National: GBR VGY.HK9

Mapcode Global: WHMTT.3J1P

Entry Name: Old Cavell Vicarage

Listing Date: 26 October 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1170259

English Heritage Legacy ID: 226988

Location: Swardeston, South Norfolk, Norfolk, NR14

County: Norfolk

District: South Norfolk

Civil Parish: Swardeston

Built-Up Area: Swardeston

Traditional County: Norfolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Church of England Parish: Swardeston St Mary Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Norwich

Find accommodation in
East Carleton

Listing Text

TG 10 SE SWARDESTON

5/103 Old Cavell Vicarage

II

Vicarage, dated 1865, for Revd. Frederick Cavell. Brick with stone quoins
and some stone dressings; slate roof with bands of hexagonal slates.
Square, 3 bays, 2 storeys. Each facade with gable to left hand bay, those
to east and south with decorative cusped and pierced barge boards; double
sawtooth brick cornice and decorative platband; quoined stone surrounds
and segmental arches of brick and stone to openings. Entrance facade to
east: bay 1 ground floor with 3-light transomed casement, first floor with
3-light casement having pointed relieving arch containing moulded decorative
bricks, gable with F C and 1 8 6 5 individually in stone; central bay with
pointed Gothick doorway having an octogoil light and two blank trefoils
in stone under arch, double leaved part-glazed door to internal porch; bay
3 with bay window to ground floor having slate roof and decorative brick
cornice, 4-light transomed casements with stone quoins. Garden facade to
south: bay 1 with triangular sectioned bay window to left and cross window
to right of ground floor, first floor opening as to east facade but with
flat stone lintel and stone dressings to corners only; central bay recessed;
third bay with large canted bay to ground floor with pierced trefoil
parapet, ashlar to lower part of bay, brick above, central cant with double
leaved part-glazed doors, side cant with cross windows, first floor with
3-light casement. Facade to north bay 1 with gable end external stack,
double Gothick lights to ground floor right; bays 2 and 3 with 2 and 3-light
casements to first floor; Gothick doorway between bays 2 and 3. Listed
as an unaltered example of a mid C19 parsonage and for historical
associations; Frederick Cavell was vicar 1863-1909; the Vicarage was the
home of Edith Cavell b. 1863, d. 1915.


Listing NGR: TG1996402423

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.