This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9458 / 51°56'44"N
Longitude: 0.134 / 0°8'2"E
OS Eastings: 546769
OS Northings: 229630
OS Grid: TL467296
Mapcode National: GBR LBD.YH9
Mapcode Global: VHHLG.8CP5
Entry Name: Church of St Nicholas
Listing Date: 21 February 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1170264
English Heritage Legacy ID: 121474
Location: Berden, Uttlesford, Essex, CM23
Civil Parish: Berden
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Berden St Nicholas
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
Church of St Nicholas
TL 42 NE 21/68 21.2.67
A flint rubble and stone building, cruciform in plan, with a nave of mainly
C12 origin but with the remains of Saxon long and short work in the west angle
of the nave. The chancel and transepts are of the C13 but the chancel was
partly rebuilt in the C19. The west tower is C15, plain without buttresses
and with a pyramid roof behind a castellated parapet. The south porch is C19
and there is considerable C19 restoration. The fittings include a good C17
octagonal pulpit. There is a brass of William Turnor (d 1473) and wife and
one of 1607.
The church is sited apart from the present village. Graded for its architectural
and historical value. (RCHM 1).
Listing NGR: TL4676929630
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings