This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8399 / 51°50'23"N
Longitude: 0.7039 / 0°42'14"E
OS Eastings: 586373
OS Northings: 219154
OS Grid: TL863191
Mapcode National: GBR QKT.QS8
Mapcode Global: VHKG8.500W
Entry Name: Quaker Meeting House, to Rear of Numbers 203-5
Listing Date: 29 May 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1170446
English Heritage Legacy ID: 116504
Location: Kelvedon, Braintree, Essex, CO5
Civil Parish: Kelvedon
Built-Up Area: Kelvedon
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Kelvedon St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
KELVEDON HIGH STREET
TL 8619-8719 (north-west side)
8/193 Quaker Meeting House,
to rear of Nos. 203-5
Quaker meeting house, now a store. Early C18. Red brick in Flemish bond,
roofed with handmade red plain tiles. Rectangular plan facing SE (internally,
facing SW). C20 lean-to workshop against front elevation. C20 small lean-to
against rear elevation. 2 storeys. 3 C18 sashes of 8 + 12 lights with
segmental arches, and one oval window with radial tracery. Some crown glass.
Doorway reduced with C20 brickwork. Double range roof with leaded hips. One
similar sash in each return, one in rear elevation. The NE end of the rear
elevation has been rebuilt in the C20, retaining the earlier sash, with flettons
on the inside. The interior originally had a boarded dado all round, of which
some remains at the NE end. 2 wooden platforms for seating across the full
width of the NE end survive. The Kelvedon Local Meeting was established in
1711. (Records at Friends' Meeting House, Colchester).
Listing NGR: TL8637319154
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings