History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Stanstead Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Greenstead Green and Halstead Rural, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9285 / 51°55'42"N

Longitude: 0.6557 / 0°39'20"E

OS Eastings: 582692

OS Northings: 228880

OS Grid: TL826288

Mapcode National: GBR QJS.4KW

Mapcode Global: VHJJ6.BS0J

Entry Name: Stanstead Hall

Listing Date: 7 August 1952

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1170482

English Heritage Legacy ID: 115975

Location: Greenstead Green and Halstead Rural, Braintree, Essex, CO9

County: Essex

District: Braintree

Civil Parish: Greenstead Green and Halstead

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Greenstead Green

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Halstead

Listing Text

TL 82 NW GREENSTEAD GREEN AND
HALSTEAD RURAL
5/136 Stanstead Hall
7.8.52

GV II*

Large house. Mid-C16, extended in C20. Red brick in English bond, with
dressings of clunch and plaster imitating stone, roofed with handmade red plain
tiles. S range of a former substantial courtyard plan, facing N, with early C20
extension to rear right, and extension of 1935 to front of right end, all in
matching style. 2 storeys and attics. The N front has on each floor four
3-light and two 2-light windows, all lights with pointed arched heads and leaded
glazing, each group with a moulded label of plastered brick. 3 smaller similar
2-light windows with similar labels in dormers with curvilinear gables. The
small off-centre entrance has moulded jambs and arched head of clunch. Brick
plinth, moulded string course and parapet between gables. Some diaper pattern
of black brick. The left end has octagonal corner turrets with crocketed
pyramidal roofs enclosing a C19/early C20 oriel window of 2 storeys in similar
style, and a 3-light window in a curvilinear gable similar to those on the N
front. The rear elevation has 3 external stacks, one with 3 octagonal shafts to
the former kitchen, the others each with 2 octagonal shafts. Gabled brick
stair-tower between the latter, with an original 3-light window opening of
chamfered brick with shallow arched heads. Internally there are partitions of
typical mid-C16 timber framing and 2 heavily moulded timber door surrounds with
arched heads, and early examples of joists of deep narrow section tenoned at the
top and at the soffit. The S extension has one room with re-used C17 panelling
with frieze and pilasters. Adjoining is a stair hall with heavily moulded
beams, possibly re-used, one with .cresting, crenellations and a bead-and-reel
strip among the Tudor chamfers. Roof much altered, with remnants of original
wind-braced side-purlin structure. Large rectangular moat with fragments of
brick revetment and enclosing wall. Former home of Lord Butler of Saffron
Walden. RCHM 1.


Listing NGR: TL8269228880

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.