History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Froyz Hall Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Greenstead Green and Halstead Rural, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9265 / 51°55'35"N

Longitude: 0.61 / 0°36'35"E

OS Eastings: 579555

OS Northings: 228554

OS Grid: TL795285

Mapcode National: GBR QJQ.510

Mapcode Global: VHJJ5.JTBZ

Entry Name: Froyz Hall Farmhouse

Listing Date: 10 April 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1170493

English Heritage Legacy ID: 115977

Location: Greenstead Green and Halstead Rural, Braintree, Essex, CO9

County: Essex

District: Braintree

Civil Parish: Greenstead Green and Halstead

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Greenstead Green

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Gosfield

Listing Text

TL 72 NE GREENSTEAD GREEN AND BOURNEBRIDGE HILL
HALSTEAD RURAL
4/138 Froyz Hall Farmhouse

GV II

House. Circa 1500, late C16, and early C19. The rear, earlier block is timber
framed, plastered with framing partly exposed, roofed with handmade red clay
tiles. The early C19 front block is of red brick in Flemish bond, roofed with
slate. Timber framed range aligned N-S, with axial stack at S end, now facing
E. Single-storey lean-to extension to NW. Early C19 range of L-plan to S,
facing S, with rear wing to W of timber framed range. Internal stack at W side.
2 storeys. S elevation, 2-window range of early C19 sashes of 10 + 10 lights
and one of 8 + 8 lights over door, all in segmental arches, with much crown
glass. Central 6-panel door, top 2 panels glazed, with plain pilasters and open
pediment. Low-pitched hipped roof. The timber framed range has on the ground
floor one C19 sash of 12 + 12 lights, and on the first floor one C19 sash with
side-light. 6-panel door, top 2 panels glazed, in C20 enclosed gabled porch.
Long jetty to front, partly underbuilt with painted brick. Above the jetty
curved braces are trenched outside the studding, with a blocked unglazed window
near the right end. Gablet hip at right end. Concertina shafts on main stack,
rebuilt. The rear elevation has a long jetty also, underbuilt. This range
comprises 2 bays of c.1500 to the right with a single upper chamber with
cambered tiebeam and long arched braces, probably not domestic in its first
build; and to the left of it a short chimney-bay, late C16, also jettied. This
has an unusual wood-burning hearth facing to the left (into the later brick
building), with convex sides and a fireback of terracotta bricks each with the
arms of James I. An extra plaque over has shaped sides and a sprig of rose-like
flowers.


Listing NGR: TL7955528554

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.