This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.9203 / 52°55'13"N
Longitude: 0.9464 / 0°56'47"E
OS Eastings: 598179
OS Northings: 339942
OS Grid: TF981399
Mapcode National: GBR S7N.S4M
Mapcode Global: WHLQS.HVXL
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 6 March 1959
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1170780
English Heritage Legacy ID: 223325
Location: Binham, North Norfolk, Norfolk, NR21
District: North Norfolk
Civil Parish: Binham
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Binham St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
BINHAM WARHAM ROAD
TF 9839 (north side)
20/22 Church of St Mary
Parish Church of St Mary. C12 Romanesque church with facade in two distinct
C13 styles of plate and bar tracery. Flint with stone dressing, lead roof.
Seven bays of nave of church of Benedictine Priory founded 1091 as a dependency
of St Albans, retained in use as parish church with 2 further nave bays, crossing
and East end now ruined. West front side to be of before 1244. Ground floor and
aisles with plate tracery, but nave window an example of bar tracery style of
Westminster Abbey. Tripartite nave and aisles facade, demolished behind the latter.
Large central four light window now bricked in, with bar tracery octofoil and
sexfoils. C16 bellcote. Nave of seven bays with the distinct Romanesque,
Transitional and EE phases traceable in internal elevations at arcade, gallery and
clerestory levels. Present east wall is built up on the monastic puplitum
dividing the two parts of the church. Simple hammerbeam arch-braced roof. C15
seven Sacrament font on stepped base. Dado only of C15 screen, figures of saints
visible through later stencilling. 2 stalls with misericorde, Open work tracery
backs to poppyhead benches. Arched, coved sedilia.
Listing NGR: TF9817939942
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings