History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Lawrence

A Grade II* Listed Building in Bourton-on-the-Water, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8861 / 51°53'9"N

Longitude: -1.7588 / 1°45'31"W

OS Eastings: 416695

OS Northings: 220863

OS Grid: SP166208

Mapcode National: GBR 4QF.L53

Mapcode Global: VHB1W.GVJH

Entry Name: Church of St Lawrence

Listing Date: 25 August 1960

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1170801

English Heritage Legacy ID: 126445

Location: Bourton-on-the-Water, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL54

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cotswold

Civil Parish: Bourton-on-the-Water

Built-Up Area: Bourton-on-the-Water

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Bourton-on-the-Water with Clapton St Lawrence

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Lower Slaughter

Listing Text


1.
5224 HIGH STREET
(north-east side)

Church of St lawrence
SP 1620 NE 3/11 25.8.60

II* GV

2.
Tower 1784, nave mostly late C19, chancel C14 said to be 1328. The church was
rebuilt except the chancel in 1784 by William Marshall, and the nave almost
completely remodelled from Georgian back to Decorated by Sir T G Jackson, while
retaining the tower and chancel. North aisle 1875, south porch 1890, nave 1891.
Coursed rubble with Cotswold stone roof. Five bay nave with round piers and
pointed arches and a king-post roof. The chancel has features of the C14 with a
roof of 1890, painted by F Howard in 1928. Good late C19 and early C20 church
fittings. Pulpit of 1888. Three stage tower of ashlar, rusticated on ground stage
and with giant Ionic pilaster quoins above. Balustrade, vase finials, lead covered
dome. Lozenge shaped clock on south face dated 1785. Large round clock above.
It is an interesting church of 3 periods, the C18 tower being particularly fine,
and stands in important relationship to the village and the vale as a whole.
Nave and south porch illustrated in The Building News 26 February 1886.


Listing NGR: SP1669520863

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.