History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Nevendon Manor

A Grade II Listed Building in Basildon, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5992 / 51°35'57"N

Longitude: 0.5095 / 0°30'34"E

OS Eastings: 573904

OS Northings: 191911

OS Grid: TQ739919

Mapcode National: GBR PM4.PNB

Mapcode Global: VHJKV.S27D

Entry Name: Nevendon Manor

Listing Date: 4 July 1955

Last Amended: 6 January 1975

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1170808

English Heritage Legacy ID: 112374

Location: Basildon, Essex, SS12

County: Essex

District: Basildon

Town: Basildon

Electoral Ward/Division: Wickford Castledon

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Wickford St Catherine

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Wickford

Listing Text

1.
5209 NEVENDON ROAD
WICKFORD

Nevendon Manor
(Formerly listed as
Little Bromfords)
TQ 79 SW 3/92 4.7.55

II


2.
Formerly known as little Broomfords Manor. The sale at the manor is recorded
in 1419 and a house probably stood on the site at this time. Records
of the sale of the property exists up to 1770. The present house is of
the C16, a timber-framed and plastered building on an L shaped plan.
2 storeys. Casement window (C20). Roof tiled, with an original chimney
stack with grouped diagonal shafts. On the east side there is a small
wing, 2 storeys and gabled, with jettied upper storeys on the north and
south, on shaped brackets and moulded bressumer; it was probably originally
the entrance porch. The east wing gable has moulded bargeboards. The
interior has good original features including 4 boarded and panelled doors
with original hinges, a number of original windows (blocked) and an iron
fire back with the date 1641 and initials E.M. The house was restored
and modernised in the C20. There is the remains of a moat. (RCHM 5).


Listing NGR: TQ7390491911

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.