History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Highfields Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Coggeshall, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8718 / 51°52'18"N

Longitude: 0.6754 / 0°40'31"E

OS Eastings: 584281

OS Northings: 222627

OS Grid: TL842226

Mapcode National: GBR QKD.PKP

Mapcode Global: VHJJL.N6FY

Entry Name: Highfields Farmhouse

Listing Date: 2 May 1953

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1170814

English Heritage Legacy ID: 116243

Location: Coggeshall, Braintree, Essex, CO6

County: Essex

District: Braintree

Civil Parish: Coggeshall

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Coggeshall with Markshall

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Coggeshall

Listing Text

TL 8422-8522 COGGESHALL WEST STREET
(north side)

9/213 Highfields Farmhouse
2.5.53

GV II

Shown on OS map as nos. 96 and 98, West Street. House. Circa 1600, altered in
C18 and C19, seriously damaged by fire c.1977 and restored. Timber framed,
plastered, roofed with handmade red plain tiles, and rear wing of painted brick
roofed with slate. Main range facing SE, with adjacent rear wings at left and
centre. C19 external stack to rear of right end. Single-storey extension with
flat roof to right and rear right, connecting with an early to mid C19 house to
rear with 2 internal stacks (no. 98 on OS map). C19 single-storey extension
beyond with hipped slate roof, now garages. 2 storeys. 2 full-height splayed
bays each with 3 C20 sashes of 12 lights at each end floor, and 2 similar sashes
on the ground floor. Over central door 3 adjacent sashes, the middle one with a
semi-circular head, the outer ones with ogee heads. 6-panel door, fielded, C18
doorcase with C20 rusticated jambs, pulvinated frieze, dentilled and moulded
flat canopy with lead tented roof; 2 moulded limestone steps. Plain parapet.
The right return has on the ground floor 2 casements with 2-centred arches and
Y-tracery, and on the first floor one sash and one casement, both with 2-centred
heads and Gothick tracery. The brick house to the rear right, facing NE, has a
3-window range of sashes of 16 lights with segmental arches, and another on the
first floor of the left return (SE elevation). Corner pilasters, fully hipped
roof. It is clear from the descriptions in RCHM iS and the Provisional List of
April 1960 that since the fire the height of the main range has been reduced by
one storey, and windows have been re-arranged and replicated. The RCHM reported
that the house was built c.1600, but this frame cannot now be identified. The
C18 dogleg stair with moulded handrail, 3 turned balusters to each tread,
scrolled tread-ends and panelled dado survived the fire and has been restored.
Re-used C18 pine panelling has been installed in the large entrance-hall,
reported to be from Tate and Lyle, Marks Lane, City of London. Other introduced
features. The fire damage did not extend to the rear wing.


Listing NGR: TL8427122620

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.