This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.8215 / 50°49'17"N
Longitude: -3.0288 / 3°1'43"W
OS Eastings: 327627
OS Northings: 102941
OS Grid: ST276029
Mapcode National: GBR M4.XGJC
Mapcode Global: FRA 46JX.RTZ
Entry Name: Church of St John the Baptist
Listing Date: 8 May 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1170817
English Heritage Legacy ID: 88075
Location: Membury, East Devon, Devon, EX13
District: East Devon
Civil Parish: Membury
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Membury
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
ST 20 SE MEMBURY MEMBURY
8.5.67 Church of St John the
Parish church. Stone rubble with slate roofs. The fabric is of C12 origin although
largely rebuilt in C15 and with a C13 chancel. Restored 1893.
Chancel has group of three lancets for east window and lancets on north and south
walls. North chapel has three light perpendicular traceried window. South aisle
has embattled parapet with grotesque gargoyles and three light flat headed window
with head stops to dripmoulds. South porch with embattled parapet, gargoyles and
moulded two centred arch doorway.
Tall west tower with buttresses set back from the corners, embattled parapet,
perpendicular two light bell openings. Perpendicular four light west window over
moulded four centred arch west doorway. Polygonal stair turret on south side of
Interior: four bay south arcade. Double chamfered chancel arch on corbels. Moulded
four centred arch to north chapel. Tall tower arch and at base bedded into south
wall of nave and squat Norman pier with scalloped capital.
Wagon roofs to nave chancel and north chapel. Moulded south aisle roof. C15
octagonal font with quatrefoil panels.
South chapel at east end of aisle has a circa 1500 timber screen with linenfold
panels and perpendicular intersecting tracery above, extensively rebuilt. C19
Monuments: in north chapel circa 1257 to Alice daughter of Lord Brivere recumbent
figure in niche said to be facsimile of one in Axmanster church. Monuments in north
chapel: Nicholas Fry 1632 with kneeling figures with columns supporting an open
pediment. Robert Fry 1725 and another to Frances Fry 1723 with bust and
inscription. In south aisle monument to Sir Shilston Calmady 1645.
Listing NGR: ST2762902941
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings