This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8701 / 51°52'12"N
Longitude: 0.6755 / 0°40'31"E
OS Eastings: 584288
OS Northings: 222437
OS Grid: TL842224
Mapcode National: GBR QKD.PL9
Mapcode Global: VHJJL.N8F7
Entry Name: 106 and 106a, West Street
Listing Date: 6 September 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1170824
English Heritage Legacy ID: 116246
Location: Coggeshall, Braintree, Essex, CO6
Civil Parish: Coggeshall
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Coggeshall with Markshall
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
TL 8422-8522 COGGESHALL WEST STREET
9/216 Nos. 106 and 106A
House, now 2 houses. Late C16 and c.1600, altered in early C19 and C20. Timber
framed, partly plastered, partly exposed, roofed with handmade red plain tiles.
4 bays facing S, with axial stack one bay from right end, forming a lobby-
entrance; the lower storey of the left bay forms a passage-way through to the
rear, original or inserted in the C17. 3-bay wing to rear of right end with
axial stack, c.1600. The main range is no. 106, the rear wing is no. 106A. 2
storeys. Ground floor, one early C19 sash of 16 lights and one C20 replica.
First floor, 2 similar sashes and one C20 sash of 12 lights over passage-way.
Full-length jetty underbuilt and plastered, framing of upper storey exposed.
Mortices indicate the former presence of oriels in the positions of the larger
first-floor sashes. To each side of the left one is a blocked original flank
window with one ovolo mullion; the left window also has 2 diamond saddle bars
exposed. Early C19 6-panel door, bottom panels flush, in plain doorcase with
shallow flat canopy, and one stone step. Framing exposed in right gable. In
the passage-way are 2 chamfered bridging beams with lamb's tongue stops. In the
rear elevation the lower storey is plastered; the framing of the upper storey is
exposed. The left ground-floor room of the main range has a chamfered axial
beam and chamfered joists of horizontal section, all with lamb's tongue stops,
and a blocked hearth. The right ground-floor room has a chamfered axial beam,
unstopped, plain joists of horizontal section, and a wood-burning hearth reduced
for a C20 grate. Early C19 quarter-turn stair at rear, with turned newel,
hardwood rail and stick balusters. Jowled posts with offset tenons, ledged for
binding beams. Close studding with curved braces trenched to the inside. Edge-
halved and bridled scarfs in both wallplates. Clasped purlin roof with arched
wind-bracing. The rear wing has jowled posts, similar scarfs, and plain axial
beams with plain joists of vertical section. Part of RCHM 90. The arcaded door
and panelling recorded by the RCHM is not now present.
Listing NGR: TL8428822437
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings