History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Boleyns

A Grade II* Listed Building in Braintree, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8903 / 51°53'25"N

Longitude: 0.5564 / 0°33'22"E

OS Eastings: 576013

OS Northings: 224398

OS Grid: TL760243

Mapcode National: GBR PHQ.HGL

Mapcode Global: VHJJB.LRH7

Entry Name: Boleyns

Listing Date: 25 October 1951

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1170835

English Heritage Legacy ID: 113705

Location: Braintree, Essex, CM7

County: Essex

District: Braintree

Town: Braintree

Electoral Ward/Division: Bocking South

Built-Up Area: Braintree

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Bocking

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Braintree

Listing Text

885 CHURCH LANE
(East Side) BOCKING
Boleyns
TL 7624 3/54 25.10.51.
II*

Originally a C17 timber-framed and plastered house added to and much altered
in the late C18. Joseph Saville bought Boleyns field and started to build the house in 1625. The present house is mainly late C18, plastered" brick. 2 storeys, attics and cellars. The west front has 3 window range, 3-light bay windows rising through 2 storeys flank a central wood doorcase and a venetial window above. The south front has 2 window range, Venetian windows. The windows are all double hung sashes with glazing bars, in flush cased frames. A central
8~panel door on the west front has a semi-circular fanlight with ornamental. fan glazing and a good doorcase with panelled reveals, engaged plain columns
and an open pediment with sections of triglyph frieze. The doorway is approached by stone steps. Timber-framed and plastered wings extend east at the rear.
The south wing has exposed timber framing on the ground storey and an C18 doorcase. Roofs tiled with a wood eaves cornice with flat modillions on the west front.
The interior has good panelling, an Cl8 staircase and some good C18 fireplaces.


Listing NGR: TL7601324398

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.