History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of All Saints

A Grade II* Listed Building in Woodton, Norfolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.5016 / 52°30'5"N

Longitude: 1.3658 / 1°21'57"E

OS Eastings: 628544

OS Northings: 294621

OS Grid: TM285946

Mapcode National: GBR WKD.444

Mapcode Global: VHL8S.MDF4

Entry Name: Church of All Saints

Listing Date: 5 September 1960

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1170855

English Heritage Legacy ID: 227422

Location: Woodton, South Norfolk, Norfolk, NR35

County: Norfolk

District: South Norfolk

Civil Parish: Woodton

Traditional County: Norfolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Church of England Parish: Woodton All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Norwich

Find accommodation in
Hempnall

Listing Text


TM 29 SE WOODTON CHURCH ROAD

Church of All Saints
4/75
5.9.60

- II*

Parish church. Medieval. Flint, some rendered, with stone dressings.C12
west tower, nave and south aisle of c1300, continuous chancel, north
vestry. Embattled round tower of 2 stages. Much repaired 2-light west
window with hood mould; slit light above with stone head. Upper part
of tower octagonal with stone quoins. Bell-openings at cardinal points;
tracery lost. Buttressed south aisle with west window of 2 cusped lights;
tracery forming 4 quatrefoils in the head; hood mould. 2 similar windows
to south, much restored. Between them a 3 light C19 window under 4-
centred arch. East aisle window of 3 lights, restored, with shafts having
bases, reticulated tracery; hood mould with fleu-de-lys to top. North
side with largely C19 vestry to western bay incorporating medieval arch-
way. To its east a low blind arch. 2 medieval windows of 2 cusped lights
with a C19 cusped Y-tracery window between. One C19 window of 2 cusped
lights. Restored east window of 3 lights with reticulated tracery; below
a memorial tablet dated 1701 having scrolled head with shield. C19 south
porch with stone dressings. Interior. Arch-braced aisle roof with
tracery in the spandrels. C19 roof to nave and chancel. 4 bay nave
arcade, the 3 easternmost being early C14 with octagonal piers; western
bay cut through later leaving a small section of wall with attached
polygonal shafts. Squint from aisle. Many hatchments. Early C17 pulpit.
Rere-arch to east aisle window with fleuron moulding; bearded head to
top. Rere-arch to east window with dog-tooth moulding. Cusped piscina
with moulded corbel to base and drop-sill sedilia. Small Y-tracery light
to rood stair. C19 fittings and a few poppy-head benches. Memorial to
Anne wife of Robert Suckling d.1653; Ionic columns, scrolled pediment
enclosing kneeling figure. C12 font, recut, with central shaft and 4
detached shafts supporting bowl.


Listing NGR: TM2854494621

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.