This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.8112 / 50°48'40"N
Longitude: -3.0318 / 3°1'54"W
OS Eastings: 327401
OS Northings: 101803
OS Grid: ST274018
Mapcode National: GBR M4.Y7Q1
Mapcode Global: FRA 46JY.JPL
Entry Name: Quakers
Listing Date: 19 October 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1170857
English Heritage Legacy ID: 88089
Location: Membury, East Devon, Devon, EX13
District: East Devon
Civil Parish: Membury
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Membury
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
ST 20 SE MEMBURY TURFMOOR
Former Quaker Meeting House, now a dwelling. Circa C17 origin. Originally said to
have been a farm building. Used as a meeting house from 1665-1742. Fell into
disuse and converted into dwelling in early C20.
Stone rubble building. Slate roof with gabled ends, west gable end plastered. One
storey and attic. Four window range. C20 two-light casements with glazing bars.
Two C20 gabled dormers. Glazed door with side light. Small brick chimney stacks at
An old illustration shows a thatched roof, half-hipped at west end over external
Earliest reference to Membury in Devonshire County Quarterly Meeting is of 1676, and
in 1680 The Membury Monthly Meeting Booke. George Fox mentions going to Membury in
Reference: "A Deserted Meeting House and Burial Ground" by Robert Dymond. The
Burial Ground is situated about 500 yards to north north west.
Listing NGR: ST2740101803
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings