History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Forge

A Grade II Listed Building in Bourton-on-the-Water, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.885 / 51°53'5"N

Longitude: -1.7578 / 1°45'28"W

OS Eastings: 416766

OS Northings: 220741

OS Grid: SP167207

Mapcode National: GBR 4QF.SHJ

Mapcode Global: VHB1W.HW2B

Entry Name: The Forge

Listing Date: 25 August 1960

Last Amended: 12 August 1983

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1170866

English Heritage Legacy ID: 126462

Location: Bourton-on-the-Water, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL54

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cotswold

Civil Parish: Bourton-on-the-Water

Built-Up Area: Bourton-on-the-Water

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Bourton-on-the-Water with Clapton St Lawrence

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Lower Slaughter

Listing Text


1.
5224 HIGH STREET
(north-east side)

The Forge
(formerly listed as
The Smithy)
SP 1620 NE 3/9 25.8.60

II GV

2.
In 2 distinct builds.
Left hand: Late C16. Rubble with stone slate roof. One storey and attic, 2 bays,
each with gable. Wide 3 light casement with drip mould on right, modern bay with
doorway and pent roof on left. Two light stone mullion casement with drip mould in
each gable. Vestigial stone ridge stack.
Right hand: Formerly York House. Early/mid C18. Coursed rubble with dressed quoins
and stone slate roof. Two storeys and attic, one window. Sashes with glazing bars
with stone architrave and keyed head. Pedimented doorway with shouldered architrave
and triple key block, 6 panel door. Pedimented dormer. Stone verges and kneelers.
Ashlar end stacks with moulded string and cap. The doorway opens onto a through
passage used for the horses' entrance. Early C19 watercolour of building in VCH by
T C Dibdin 1855.


Listing NGR: SP1676620741

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.