History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Deacons Newsagents

A Grade II Listed Building in Kelvedon, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8395 / 51°50'22"N

Longitude: 0.7046 / 0°42'16"E

OS Eastings: 586419

OS Northings: 219114

OS Grid: TL864191

Mapcode National: GBR QKT.QXS

Mapcode Global: VHKG8.51B5

Entry Name: Deacons Newsagents

Listing Date: 21 December 1967

Last Amended: 29 July 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1170945

English Heritage Legacy ID: 116523

Location: Kelvedon, Braintree, Essex, CO5

County: Essex

District: Braintree

Civil Parish: Kelvedon

Built-Up Area: Kelvedon

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Kelvedon St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Feering

Listing Text

KELVEDON HIGH STREET
TL 8619-8719 (south-east side)

8/219 No. 166 (Deacons
21.12.67 Newsagents) (formerly
listed as Stationers
Shop)

GV II

House, now shop and house. Circa 1700, altered in C19. Mainly timber framed
and plastered, with facade of painted brick, roofed with handmade red plain
tiles. Single-span range facing NW, with internal stack at right. Original
stair or closet tower with hipped roof to rear of right end. C19 single-storey
wing to rear of left end, projecting to left, with slate roof. Single-storey
lean-to extension with slate roof behind main range. 2 storeys. Ground floor,
C19 splayed bay shop window, one C19 sash with marginal lights. First floor, 2
early C19 sashes of 16 lights, and blind aperture over door. Half-glazed door,
simple flat canopy on scrolled brackets, one stone step. Facade slightly
asymmetrical even before C19 alterations. Band of 3 courses of rubbed red brick
with fine mortar joints at first floor level. Dentilled eaves cornice. Hipped
roof. Exposed girts in end walls. The rear tower has on the first floor, one
early C19 sash of 3 + 6 lights. The left ground floor room, now part of the
shop, has the rear,wall removed, but retains a moulded plaster cornice with
egg-and-dart ornament all round. This roof has a plaster ceiling moulded in
high relief, with an oval central panel, foliated wreath, and shells, flowers
and fruits. Deeds from c.1750 in the possession of the owner.


Listing NGR: TL8641919114

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.