History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Stisted Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Stisted, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8916 / 51°53'29"N

Longitude: 0.6073 / 0°36'26"E

OS Eastings: 579512

OS Northings: 224667

OS Grid: TL795246

Mapcode National: GBR QK3.BCX

Mapcode Global: VHJJC.GQX7

Entry Name: Stisted Hall

Listing Date: 6 September 1988

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1170996

English Heritage Legacy ID: 116271

Location: Stisted, Braintree, Essex, CM77

County: Essex

District: Braintree

Civil Parish: Stisted

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Stisted All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Stisted

Listing Text

TL 7924 STISTED

7/254 Stisted Hall

GV II*

Mansion, now a residential institution. 1823-5, by Henry Hakewill for Charles
Savill Onley (né Harvey). Gault brick in Flemish bond with stone dressings,
roofed with slate and lead. Rectangular plan with short entrance elevation to
W, long garden elevation to S, large service range to NE. 5 internal stacks
symmetrically arranged. 2 storeys and cellars. Ground floor, 2 outer
tripartite sashes of 4-12-4 lights with scalloped blind boxes, 2 inner sashes of
12 lights. First floor, 5 sashes of 12 lights with moulded stone architraves.
Much crown glass in large panes, meriting special care. Central double late C19
hardwood doors with moulded stone canopy on scrolled brackets. Central part of
elevation set back. Large tetrastyle Ionic portico with ceiling of transparent
corrugated plastic on web steel joists. Plain stone band. Dentilled stone
parapet, concealing roofs of shallow pitch. Garden elevation, 2:5:2 window
range. On the ground floor, outer tripartite sashes of 4-12-4 lights with
scalloped blind boxes, inner sashes of 12 lights of storey height. On the first
floor the left outer sash of 12 lights has a blind box, the other is missing.
Much crown glass. The middle part of the ground floor has been altered to stand
forward on a terrace raised on one step, with 3 stone steps to each window. The
entrance-hall has a painted wooden fireplace, 6 internal late C19 moulded
4-panel doors of polished hardwood in painted moulded architraves with carved
crestings, an original floor of limestone with inset squares of slate, and a
moulded plaster cornice. The SW 'Oak Room' has C19 oak panelling and a coved
ceiling. The dining-room, to the E of it, has walls of panelled plaster, 2
niches with shell heads, and a moulded plaster cornice. The next room to the E
has walls of panelled plaster and a moulded cornice with Greek key and
honeysuckle ornament. The SE room ('the Cedar Room') has panelled plaster
walls, 2 arched niches and a moulded plaster cornice, and a fireplace of green
marble, all late C19. The stair hall, N of the dining-room, has a branching
central stair with moulded stone treads, slender cast iron balusters of lotus
and scroll design, and wreathed handrails, 2 freestanding Ionic columns, a
curved rear wall with moulded plaster band, a cylindrical lantern with shallow
dome, and scrolled, coffered and moulded ceiling. Cellars with original
fittings. The house is illustrated as having a tented canopy on stanchions in
the position of the present S extension in Virtue's Picturesque Beauties of
Great Britain, 1832, 55, and Country Life (supplement, sale advertisement), 18
July 1914. The architectural supervision was by John Penrice of Colchester, to
a design by Henry Hakewill ( H.M. Colvin, A Biographical Dictionary of British
Architects, 1600-1840, 1978, 376 and 631). The Provisional List states that the
house is 'said to contain C16/17 panelling from Jenkin's Farmhouse', but the
only panelling found is C19, original to its present position.


Listing NGR: TL7951224667

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.