History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Porter's Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Kelvedon, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8419 / 51°50'30"N

Longitude: 0.6607 / 0°39'38"E

OS Eastings: 583390

OS Northings: 219270

OS Grid: TL833192

Mapcode National: GBR QKR.KVV

Mapcode Global: VHJJL.DYNW

Entry Name: Porter's Farmhouse

Listing Date: 29 July 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1171011

English Heritage Legacy ID: 116536

Location: Kelvedon, Braintree, Essex, CO5

County: Essex

District: Braintree

Civil Parish: Kelvedon

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Kelvedon St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Rivenhall

Listing Text

KELVEDON HOLLOW ROAD
TL 81 NW
(south side)
5/239 Porter's Farmhouse

GV II

House. Circa 1600, altered in C18 and C20. Timber framed, plastered, roofed
with handmade red plain tiles. 4 bays facing SE with stack to rear of right
bay, and C20 single-storey extension beyond. C20 crosswing at left end,
extending to rear. C18/19 lean-to along rear of main range, forming a catslide
with the main roof. 2 storeys and attics. 3-window range of C19 casements.
C20 door in C20 pedimented doorcase. Built as a lobby-entrance house, but
internal stack demolished. Jowled posts. All arched braces to tiebeams
removed. Edge-halved and bridled scarf in rear wallplate. Some original wattle
and daub infill in rear wall, enclosed by lean-to extension; also some hardwood
weatherboarding, similarly enclosed. Chamfered axial beams with convex and
lamb's tongue stops. Original clasped purlin roof with straight and curved
wind-bracing. On ground floor, in second bay from right end, early C19 corner
cupboard with reeded jambs, semi-elliptical arch, and elaborately profiled
shelves. In next bay to left, early C18 pine corner cupboard with 2
single-panel doors; C18 butterfly hinges on the lower door, introduced cockshead
hinges on the upper door. 2 C18/early C19 battened doors on first-floor
landing, another in unlit attic. Most other internal doors are Victorian
4-panel. Moated site. Conveyances from 1588 onwards in Essex Record Office,
and lease and release of 1769 in the possession of the owner. Sale catalogues
of 1784 and 1913 record that the house was associated with a farm of 138 and 152
acres respectively. Part of the manor of Felix Hall. A photograph of this
house before renovation is in B.L. Kentish, Kelvedon and its Antiquities, 1974,
plate 17. RCHM 4.


Listing NGR: TL8339019270

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.