History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Corderries

A Grade II Listed Building in Chalford, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.726 / 51°43'33"N

Longitude: -2.1552 / 2°9'18"W

OS Eastings: 389375

OS Northings: 203043

OS Grid: SO893030

Mapcode National: GBR 1MV.MYF

Mapcode Global: VH94Z.LWH6

Entry Name: The Corderries

Listing Date: 24 March 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1171030

English Heritage Legacy ID: 132808

Location: Chalford, Stroud, Gloucestershire, GL6

County: Gloucestershire

District: Stroud

Civil Parish: Chalford

Built-Up Area: Chalford

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Chalford Christ Church

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Chalford

Listing Text


SO 8803-8903 CHALFORD CHALFORD HILL

10/14 The Corderries

GV II

Large detached house. C17, extensively altered and enlarged mid
C18; early Cl9 alterations and additions. Coursed, squared
limestone; ashlar chimneys; artificial stone slate and concrete
tile roof. Two-storey; parallel-roofed rear range. Front: 3-
window fenestration; masonry shows signs of original 5-window
front. Now all early Cl9 tripartite sashes with central 12-pane
sashes, central upper floor window being Venetian. Central doorway
with reeded architraves to 6-panel moulded door flanked by side
windows with diagonal glazing bars. Moulded cornice probably C18
with later plain parapet above. End wing to left is slightly set
back with blocked tripartite opening to each floor. Gable end
chimneys with paired shafts and moulded caps. South end:
tripartite sash window to each floor of wing. Rear: parallel
range in two parts, left with sash windows and rebuilt eaves-
mounted chimney, right with stone mullioned 3-light and timber
ground floor casements, small early C19 Tudor arched upper floor
casement and curious chimney breast running diagonally across wall
face.
Interior: mostly refitted c1830, doorways having Regency
architraves. House probably incorporates much of a smaller C17
building, extensively altered during 2 major rebuilding campaigns.
Small weaver's house, coach house and alcove seat (q.v.) in
extensive grounds.
(M.A. Rudd, Historical Records of Bisley with Lypiatt, 1937)


Listing NGR: SO8937503043

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.