History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old School House

A Grade II Listed Building in Kelvedon, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8325 / 51°49'56"N

Longitude: 0.6978 / 0°41'51"E

OS Eastings: 585978

OS Northings: 218315

OS Grid: TL859183

Mapcode National: GBR QL0.36Z

Mapcode Global: VHKG8.16QK

Entry Name: The Old School House

Listing Date: 25 June 1974

Last Amended: 29 July 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1171082

English Heritage Legacy ID: 116549

Location: Kelvedon, Braintree, Essex, CO5

County: Essex

District: Braintree

Civil Parish: Kelvedon

Built-Up Area: Kelvedon

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Kelvedon St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Rivenhall

Listing Text

KELVEDON MALDON ROAD
TL 8418-8518 (west side)

9/252 No. 1 (The Old School
25.6.74 House) (formerly listed
as Old Schoolmaster's
House)

GV II

House. C15, extended in C18/19 and C20. Timber framed, plastered, roofed with
mainly handmade red plain tiles, with some red clay pantiles. 2 storeys and
cellar. 2 bays facing NE, with C17 external stack to left, extended to right in
C18/19 with internal stack at right end. Single-storey extension to right. C20
lean-to extension to rear of left end. Garage to left. Ground floor, one C19
splayed bay of C20 sashes below jetty, extending forwards, one C20 casement.
First floor, 3 C20 casements. Flush 6-panel door, early C19, at head of steps,
with iron handrail. The rear pitch of the right part is pantiled. 3 plain
brackets under jetty. The original part at left has a chamfered axial beam with
step stops, joists plastered to the soffits, a studded partition to the right
with an original doorway with chamfered double-ogee head, mortice for draught
screen beside it, and large peg-holes for attached bench; also an inserted
doorway with 4-centred head. This doorway originally led to the parlour of a
larger house, but this part has been demolished and replaced in the C18/19. C17
wood-burning hearth at left end, with chamfered mantel beam with lamb's tongue
stops, and some later brickwork. Jowled posts, cambered tiebeam chamfered with
plain stops, arched braces to it missing, crownpost roof with plain crownpost
(broken) and 3 axial braces. Modern rafters above the original rear rafters.
C18 ripple-pattern pargetting on right side of this partition in roof,
indicating a period when it formed the external wall. It is likely that the
house originally extended to the left also. Exceptional height at both storeys,
indicating high status. Cellar in C18/19 extension. From 1630 this house
became the schoolmaster's house of Aylett's School; part of it was reported to
be in ruinous condition in 1741, and demolished soon afterwards. (B.L. Kentish,
Kelvedon and its Antiquities, 1974, 65-6). RCHM 10.


Listing NGR: TL8597818315

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.