History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Greys East the Greys

A Grade II Listed Building in Kelvedon, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8317 / 51°49'54"N

Longitude: 0.6991 / 0°41'56"E

OS Eastings: 586076

OS Northings: 218233

OS Grid: TL860182

Mapcode National: GBR QL0.3L6

Mapcode Global: VHKG8.27G4

Entry Name: Greys East the Greys

Listing Date: 25 June 1974

Last Amended: 29 July 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1171108

English Heritage Legacy ID: 116553

Location: Kelvedon, Braintree, Essex, CO5

County: Essex

District: Braintree

Civil Parish: Kelvedon

Built-Up Area: Kelvedon

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Kelvedon St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Rivenhall

Listing Text

KELVEDON MALDON ROAD
TL 8618-8718 (east side)

10/256 The Greys and Greys
25.6.74 East (formerly listed
as The Greys)

GV II

House and office, now house and cottage. 1858. Painted brick in Flemish bond,
roofed with slate. Double pile plan facing SE, with 2 internal stacks of gault
brick, asymmetrically arranged. Large service wing to rear right, and smaller
and lower wing, formerly the accounts office of Greys Mill, now Greys East, in
the angle in front of it, with one stack at the junction and one internal stack.
Small single-storey extension with hipped roof to rear of service wing. 2
storeys. 3-window range of sashes with marginal lights and shallow segmental
arches. Central 6-panel door, the lower part flush, in doorcase with reeded
surround and paterae, panelled jambs and soffit, overlight with geometrical cast
iron tracery, and moulded flat canopy. In Greys East, one C20 metal casement on
ground floor, one original sash on first floor, plain door. Hipped roofs of
shallow pitch with long overhangs. In left return, one sash of 12 lights and
one French window with marginal lights, both original, on ground floor. In
right return of Greys East, one original sash of 12 lights with original
external shutter on ground floor, round window on first floor. Original sashes
of 12 lights and tripartite sashes in right return of service wing and rear
elevation of main house. Much crown glass. Original stair with wreathed
handrail, stick balusters and moulded treads. 4-panel internal doors. Formerly
the house and office of Grey's Mill (item 10/257, q.v.), also known as Docwra's,
both rebuilt for George Docwra after a fire in 1858 (R. Benham, Some Essex Water
Mills, 1976, 67).


Listing NGR: TL8607618233

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.