This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.9572 / 52°57'25"N
Longitude: 0.7945 / 0°47'40"E
OS Eastings: 587804
OS Northings: 343631
OS Grid: TF878436
Mapcode National: GBR R5Q.PNY
Mapcode Global: WHKPD.5XKV
Entry Name: Church of St Withburga
Listing Date: 6 March 1959
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1171134
English Heritage Legacy ID: 223355
Location: Holkham, North Norfolk, Norfolk, NR23
District: North Norfolk
Civil Parish: Holkham
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Holkham St Withburga
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
HOLKHAM HOLKHAM PARK
5/40 Church of St Withburga
Parish Church: the dedication is said to be unique. C13 tower on S side, western
part of S aisle, but entire building extensively rebuilt in 1767 and in 1868-9
by James K Colling. Flint with limestone dressings. Plain tiled roofs to nave
and chancel. Flushwork panels in parapets of tower, charnel and aisles. Tower
with set-back buttresses up to first stage. Two early C13 lancet windows, bell
openings with 'Y' tracery, probably rebuilt in C19 works. C19 south door in tower
with double opening and quatrefoiled spandrel. Embattled parapet With corner
pinnacles. C13 W window in S aisle and C14 two light window in S aisle. Perp.
N and S chancel aisle window: c19 W window of 3 lights with Decorated door below,
C19 east window of 5 lights, and all other windows date from C19 restoration.
Interior: 4 bay arcades, octagonal piers probably late C14, quatrefoil piers to
2 easternmost bays. Chapel with parclose screen at E end of N aisle. Roofs
C19 arch-braced collars with short wall posts on corbels. Coffin lids C11 set
in floor at W end of nave. Two early C17 monuments by Nicholas Stone and
Robert Pook: Miles Armiger, 1639 with good kneeling alabaster figure on S well
of S chapel; John and Muriel Cook and their family with three pairs of kneeling
figures, on E wall of S chapel. Fine alabaster reclining ligate on tomb chest
by Boehm to Juliana, Countess of Leicester, d.1870.
Listing NGR: TF8780443631
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings