This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7207 / 51°43'14"N
Longitude: -2.1509 / 2°9'3"W
OS Eastings: 389670
OS Northings: 202452
OS Grid: SO896024
Mapcode National: GBR 1N1.30F
Mapcode Global: VH955.N0RQ
Entry Name: Springfield House Hotel
Listing Date: 28 June 1960
Last Amended: 24 March 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1171143
English Heritage Legacy ID: 132828
Location: Chalford, Stroud, Gloucestershire, GL6
Civil Parish: Chalford
Built-Up Area: Chalford
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Chalford Christ Church
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO 8802-8902 CHALFORD COWCOMBE HIL
13/34 Springfield House Hotel
(previously listed as Springfield
House, High Street)
Detached house, now hotel. 1838. Ashlar and coursed rubble
limestone; ashlar chimneys; Welsh slate roof. Two-storey;
smaller 2-storey rear range. Front: 3-window fenestration.
Central upper floor tripartite sash, outer lights with marginal
glazing bars; outer upper floor 12-pane sashes. Later Cl9 glazed
doors to ground floor, all windows with moulded architraves and
louvred shutters. Central round arched doorway and flanking round
arched windows with moulded architraves and imposts; 6-panel
reeded door with fanlight. Tetrastyle Ionic porch with flat roof.
Plain upper floor level band continued over slight central break
forward and plain corner pilasters; stucco eaves cornice. Low
hipped roof with projecting eaves. Sides: 2-window fenestration
as to front, south side in coursed rubble. Lower rear range with
12 and 16-pane sashes. Through passage has doorway at south end
with segmental arched head and jambs adapted from mid C17 doorway
with lozenges in spandrels, this presumably indicating an earlier
building on the site; 6-panel door and architraves are early C19.
Interior: fine hall with central round archway on paired detached
Ionic columns. Curved staircase beyond has decorative balusters
and fine plaster ceiling; high-level round arched stair sash with
marginal glazing bars. House recorded as 'newly erected' in 1838
for Handy and Jesse Davis, clothiers.
(N.M. Herbert, 'Bisley' in V.C.H. Glos. xi, 1976, pp 4-40; and D.
Verey, Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, 1979)
Listing NGR: SO8967002452
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings