This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8986 / 51°53'54"N
Longitude: 0.6114 / 0°36'40"E
OS Eastings: 579762
OS Northings: 225446
OS Grid: TL797254
Mapcode National: GBR QJX.Z8M
Mapcode Global: VHJJC.KJ1X
Entry Name: Glebe House
Listing Date: 6 September 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1171201
English Heritage Legacy ID: 116297
Location: Stisted, Braintree, Essex, CM77
Civil Parish: Stisted
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Stisted All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
TL 72 NE STISTED RECTORY ROAD
1/278 Glebe House
House. 1839. Plastered brick, roofed with slate. Rectangular plan with
entrance elevation to SE, garden elevation to SW. 2 stacks in N wall, one stack
near SW end of NW side. Service wing to NE. Late C19 square bay at NE end of
NW wall, C20 conservatory at SW end. 2 storeys. SE elevation, 3-window range
of original sashes of 12 lights. Central 6-panel door (top 2 glazed) in moulded
plaster architrave with moulded shallow canopy on scrolled brackets. Moulded
cornice, plain parapet rising to central stack (dummy or disused) with quadrant
each side. In service wing, one sash of 6 + 8 lights on ground floor, one of 12
lights on first floor. Parapet gable to right return. SW elevation, 2 full-
height splayed bays with sashes of 12 lights to the front, 12 lights with glazed
margins in the splays. Central blocked window aperture with semi-circular head
on ground floor, sash of 12 lights on first floor. Moulded cornice, plain
parapet. Symmetrical elevation. Much crown glass in this and SE elevation.
Original folding shutters in ground-floor windows of SW elevation. Moulded
ceiling cornices. Original stair with wreathed handrail, turned newels and
stick balusters. In the kitchen wall are 3 blocks inscribed respectively Henry
Thornton Forster 18 October 1839, John Jebb Forster 18 October 1839, Charles
Thornton Forster 18 October 1839. This house was built as a rectory when the
tithes were commuted in 1839 (W. White, Directory of Essex, 1863, 315). The
earlier rectory, still shown in the tithe map of that year, was approximately 70
metres to the N (Essex Record Office, D/CT 355).
Listing NGR: TL7976225446
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings