History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Flints

A Grade II Listed Building in Stisted, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8938 / 51°53'37"N

Longitude: 0.6136 / 0°36'49"E

OS Eastings: 579938

OS Northings: 224922

OS Grid: TL799249

Mapcode National: GBR QK3.CXQ

Mapcode Global: VHJJC.LN8L

Entry Name: Flints

Listing Date: 6 September 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1171214

English Heritage Legacy ID: 116299

Location: Stisted, Braintree, Essex, CM77

County: Essex

District: Braintree

Civil Parish: Stisted

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Stisted All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Stisted

Listing Text

TL 7924 STISTED THE STREET
(west side)

7/280 Flints

- II

House. Early C19. Flint rubble with dressings of gault brick, roofed with
slate. Rectangular plan facing NW (at right angles to street) with central
stack. Single-storey extension to rear, of red brick. 2 storeys. 3-window
range of original casements with 4-centred heads. 2 adjacent plain boarded
doors with 4-centred heads, in common aperture with 4-centred arch. Central
gable with late C19 fretted and pierced bargeboards, spiked finial and carved
pendant. Plain brick band. Symmetrical elevation. Roof of shallow pitch.
Short octagonal stack with cruciform shafts. NE elevation (to street), 2-window
range of similar casements. Similar bargeboards, finial and pendant. Some
uncoursed red brick in rear wall. Similar bargeboards to rear of rear
extension. The stack is similar to that of North Lodge (item 7/267, q.v.),
which implies that this house too may be designed by Henry Hakewill for Charles
Savill Onley, né Harvey. The house was not present in a map of 1823 (Essex
Record Office, Q/RHi 4/39) but was present in the tithe map of 1839, without the
rear extension (Essex Record Office D/CT 355).


Listing NGR: TL7993824922

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.