This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.491 / 50°29'27"N
Longitude: -4.0312 / 4°1'52"W
OS Eastings: 256012
OS Northings: 67654
OS Grid: SX560676
Mapcode National: GBR Q1.SGBJ
Mapcode Global: FRA 27FR.R94
Entry Name: Church (Dedication Unknown)
Listing Date: 21 March 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1171232
English Heritage Legacy ID: 92839
Location: Sheepstor, West Devon, Devon, PL20
District: West Devon
Civil Parish: Sheepstor
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
SX 56 NE
18/107 Church (dedication unknown)
Parish church. Circa late C15. Restored in 1862. Granite rubble wall, tower
constructed of granite ashlar. Gable ended slate roof.
Plan: nave, chancel, south aisle and very shallow north transept, possibly
containing the Elford family pew, west tower and south porch. Restored in 1862 when
rood screen was removed.
Good three stage west tower which is battlemented with crenellated and crocketted
pinnacles. Moulded stringcourses and plinth. 2-light belfry openings have
cinquefoiled heads with a quatrefoil in between. 4-centred arched west doorway of
Roborough stone is heavily moulded with incised leaf design in spandrels and square
hood-mould. Tall 3-light west window of Roborough stone has Perpendicular tracery.
On the north side of the tower is a pentagonal stair turret. The 2-light north
windows to the aisle are all restored. The very shallow north transept has a 2-
light late C15 window of Roborough stone with cinquefoiled heads. To the left of
the transept is a shallow projection originally probably for the rood stairs. The
east window is 3-light with Perpendicular tracery but has been restored apart from
its jambs. The south aisle has a 3-light Perpendicular east window of Roborough
stone. Its south wall has 4 2-light Perpendicular windows alternating with granite
ashlar buttresses. Single storey gabled south porch has similar doorway to tower.
Above it is a recess containing a grotesque carved stone in the form of a skull
holding cross-bones in its mouth with ears of corn coming out of its eye sockets and
an hourglass below.
Interior: 4-centred arched granite south doorway with broad chamfer and straight cut
stops. 5 bay granite arcade to south aisle of Pevsner A-type piers and depressed 4-
centred double-chamfered arches. Similar chancel and transept arch. Tower arch is
tall and more pointed.
Good modern rood screen of 1914 which is an exact replica of the original removed in
1862. C20 scissor brace roofs.
Probably C15 granite octagonal font with panelled pedestal and high relief shields
on sides of bowl.
2 C17 memorials on north wall. One of 1641 to Elizabeth Elford, made of alabaster
with a figure of the lady semi-reclining, her baby beside her on the couch and three
kneeling daughters by the bedside. The other a slate plaque commemorating members
of the Elford family who were gentry of the parish; it has 7 shields at the top
carrying the arms of various members of the family.
Listing NGR: SX5601167651
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings