History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Melksham Court

A Grade II* Listed Building in Stinchcombe, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6865 / 51°41'11"N

Longitude: -2.3849 / 2°23'5"W

OS Eastings: 373487

OS Northings: 198712

OS Grid: ST734987

Mapcode National: GBR 0LS.9VF

Mapcode Global: VH951.MV1Z

Entry Name: Melksham Court

Listing Date: 23 June 1952

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1171311

English Heritage Legacy ID: 131560

Location: Stinchcombe, Stroud, Gloucestershire, GL11

County: Gloucestershire

District: Stroud

Civil Parish: Stinchcombe

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Stinchcombe St Cyr

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Cam

Listing Text

ST 79 NW STINCHCOMBE THE STREET
3/107 (east side)
23.6.52
Melksham Court

II*


Manor House. C16 and C17. Squared and coursed marlstone, stone slate roof. L-plan,
with later wing on north end; 3 gables to east and two gables plus third gabled wing
projecting forward, west front. Through passage between gables one and two (west
front). West facade with coped gables, four storeys, 3-windowed in 4, 3, 2 and
1-light hollow chamfered mullion casements under moulded and stopped drips, most with
leaded glazing, also various smaller openings including stair light, on return wing
small square openings to basement; mid C20 glazed door and canopy. On east side is
mid C20 panelled door in restored surround with stopped drip. Lower service wing at
north end generally in sympathy with main block. Interior not seen, but reputed
various original staircases and much replacement panelling and other detail at time of
substantial restoration c1955. See good photographic record of 1955 in NMR.

For long the house of the Tyndale family - from 1561 to 1768 - then the Morse family
from that date until early in the C20.

The house is grouped around formal gardens with the Barn (q.v.) and Mill (q.v.) and is
a very grand version of the Cotswold style.


Listing NGR: ST7348798712

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.