This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9526 / 51°57'9"N
Longitude: -1.9687 / 1°58'7"W
OS Eastings: 402244
OS Northings: 228234
OS Grid: SP022282
Mapcode National: GBR 3N1.F32
Mapcode Global: VHB1K.T5KZ
Entry Name: School
Listing Date: 4 July 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1171764
English Heritage Legacy ID: 133941
Location: Winchcombe, Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire, GL54
Civil Parish: Winchcombe
Built-Up Area: Winchcombe
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Winchcombe St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SP 02 28 WINCHCOMBE GLOUCESTER STREET
School. Patron, John Dent. 1867 and 1897. Squared and coursed limestone,
some pink stone in relieving arches, stone slate roof and coped gables.
An L-plan, plus part parallel range (later of 1897); gabled entrance porch,
four prominent stacks with moulded cappings, and octagonal bellcote on return
gable. Elevation to church has buttressed porch, two steep gables over
2-light windows with wide mullion and haunched heads surmounted by quatre-
foil, all detail set flush to wall; in projecting gabled wing, right 2 cusped
lancets under drips with carved head stops flanking deep central buttress
carrying turret. Fine original plank door with decorative straps to inside
porch. Street elevation includes 3-light plate tracery window to each of
two gables, but later one, left, has drip mould, and trefoil opening over.
Interior much as when built with arch-braced principals and scissors rafters
in 6 bays, divided 4 and 2 with later glazed screen. Dado panelling has
castellated top moulding. This is another example of the Dent family
philanthropy; the later wing having Emma Dent as patron, and probably con-
structed by John Oakey. Building is linked by a wall to School House (q.v.).
Listing NGR: SP0224428234
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings