History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Peter

A Grade II* Listed Building in Hoveton, Norfolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.724 / 52°43'26"N

Longitude: 1.4257 / 1°25'32"E

OS Eastings: 631428

OS Northings: 319549

OS Grid: TG314195

Mapcode National: GBR WGS.77R

Mapcode Global: WHMT3.WS2K

Entry Name: Church of St Peter

Listing Date: 16 April 1955

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1171821

English Heritage Legacy ID: 224394

Location: Hoveton, North Norfolk, Norfolk, NR12

County: Norfolk

District: North Norfolk

Civil Parish: Hoveton

Traditional County: Norfolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Church of England Parish: Hoveton St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Norwich

Find accommodation in
Beeston Saint Lawrence

Listing Text

HOVETON ST. PETER'S LANE
TG 31 NW
7/63 Church of St. Peter
16.4.55
- II*

Parish church. Dated 1624, restored 1884 by H.J. Green, Diocesan architect,
and 1947. Brick with thatched roof. Rectangular plan comprising
undifferentiated nave and chancel. 3-light intersecting west and east
windows. 2 2-light Y windows to north and south, all windows with hood moulds
on labels. Brick plinth. West and east gables stepped with trefoil coping
on kneelers. Bell-cote to west has rebated centre and stepped gable. Gabled
south porch, the gable stepped and supported on kneelers. Double chamfered
inner and outer arches are semi-circular. Outer arch with hood on labels
below datestone 1624, One stepped side buttress to nave and diagonal stepped
eastern buttresses, all with tumbling. South side has corbelled eaves
cornice, north side a saw-toothed eaves cornice. Blocked double chamfered
north door. Interior. Tie beams to now boarded roof have small sunk quadrant
mouldings. Polygonal pulpit panelled and with palmette frieze below top rail.
C19 linefold altar dado. Circular C19 drum font enriched by 4 patee crosses
in punched roundels, otherwise plain. Asymmetrical wall monument in form
of cartouche to Mary Aufrere 1750 : composed of drapery folds with cherub
at apex holding coat of arms; further cherubic head to left.


Listing NGR: TG3142819549

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.