History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Lodge, Gateway and Flanking Walls to Bryanston School Approximately 60 Metres North West of the Stour Inn

A Grade II Listed Building in Bryanston, Dorset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.8528 / 50°51'10"N

Longitude: -2.1671 / 2°10'1"W

OS Eastings: 388336

OS Northings: 105934

OS Grid: ST883059

Mapcode National: GBR 1ZG.JXW

Mapcode Global: FRA 66BV.CKX

Entry Name: Lodge, Gateway and Flanking Walls to Bryanston School Approximately 60 Metres North West of the Stour Inn

Listing Date: 14 July 1955

Last Amended: 11 June 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1171846

English Heritage Legacy ID: 103307

Location: Bryanston, North Dorset, Dorset, DT11

County: Dorset

District: North Dorset

Civil Parish: Bryanston

Traditional County: Dorset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset

Church of England Parish: Durweston and Bryanston St Nicholas

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Blandford Forum

Listing Text

BRYANSTON
LOWER BRYANSTON
ST 88 05

12/31 Lodge, Gateway and
flanking walls to Bryanston
School approximately 60m
14-7-55 north-west of the Stour Inn
(formerly listed as Lodge
to Park).

GV II

Lodge, gateway and flanking walls, c.1778, probably by James Wyatt. Greensand ashlar
with Portland stone dressings, hipped lead roofs. Symmetrical. Central gateway with
round headed arches flanked by single bay, single storey lodges. The central arch is
flanked by Dorie half-columns which support a pedimented entablature. The entablature
bears the inscription 'Bryanston School' in gilded Roman capitals. Each lodge has a
single 12-pane sash and a moulded cornice. The flanking walls curve forward to the
roadside and terminate in large rectangular piers. The walls have moulded copings and
the piers are surmounted by heraldic beasts bearing shields. (RCHM, Dorset, vol.III,
p.47, no.2. Newman J. and Pevsner, N., The Buildings of England: Dorset, 1972, p.118)


Listing NGR: ST8833605934

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.