History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Andrew

A Grade II* Listed Building in Blickling, Norfolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.8096 / 52°48'34"N

Longitude: 1.2312 / 1°13'52"E

OS Eastings: 617873

OS Northings: 328455

OS Grid: TG178284

Mapcode National: GBR VD1.S48

Mapcode Global: WHLRH.WMGY

Entry Name: Church of St Andrew

Listing Date: 10 May 1961

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1171857

English Heritage Legacy ID: 228672

Location: Blickling, Broadland, Norfolk, NR11

County: Norfolk

District: Broadland

Civil Parish: Blickling

Traditional County: Norfolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Church of England Parish: Blickling

Church of England Diocese: Norwich

Find accommodation in
Erpingham

Listing Text

TG 12 NE BLICKLING AYLSHAM ROAD

4/13 Church of St. Andrew
10-5-61

GV II*

Parish church. Medieval with extensive C19 remodelling. Flint with limestone
dressings. Lead roofs. West tower, nave, chancel, south aisle, south porch,
north aisle, north-east chapel. Square west tower by G.E. Street, 1876: angle-
buttresses to west, north and south aisles flank tower base. Tall lancet
west window, lancets at bell stage and 3-light bell openings with cusped Y-
tracery. Coped parapet on corbel-table. C19 south porch by Street, diagonal
gable buttresses with flushwork in cusped niches. Coped and parapeted south
gable with ashlar and flushwork decoration. 2-light east and west windows.
South doorway set in flushwork: C13 with engaged shafts and pointed arch with
keeled roll-moulding. 4-bay nave clerestorey with 2-light cusped Y-tracery
windows. Nave and chancel fenestration all C19 Perpendicular, with bays
divided by staged buttresses with flushwork panels. 5-light east window by
William Butterfield, 1851. Plain north doorway with hoodmould on headstops,
early C14; plain continuous chamfer and wave moulding to arch. Interior:
C15 nave roof, much repaired and renewed: arch-braced rafters, alternate bays
on wallposts and head corbels. Tower arch with double hollow-chamfer and
polygonal responds. Circular quatrefoil opening above arch; 2-light C19
plate tracery window above. C15 north and south arcades, four bays, piers
with four shafts and continuous wave and hollow-chamfer mouldings. Aisle
roofs C15 with roll-moulded and arch-braced principals with traceried
spandrels; wallposts on head corbels. Chapels in eastern bays of aisles.
The south chapel has C20 linenfold dado panelling; piscina in south-east
corner with petalled bowl and hollow-chamfered arch. Angle-piscina in south-
east corner of chancel with traceried and crocketted ogee heads on carved
headstops. In the north-east corner an elaborate C19 memorial niche to the
7th Marquis of Lothian (d.1841): ogee arched recess, crocketted, cusped and
subcusped; fleurons around arch. Chancel contains good wall monuments,
notably to Elizabeth Gurdon (d.1582) a semicircular niche with leaf spandrels
and modillion cornice on Ionic colonnettes containing a kneeling figure;
James Hobart (d.1670) - Ionic pilasters flanking tablet with skulls on base.
C17 and C18 slabs in chancel floor. In the south aisle a C16 tomb chest
to Sir Edward Clere with sixteen shields in arched recesses. Wall monument
to Margaret Graile (d.1723). Many good C14 and C15 brasses including a
large figure of Sir Nicholas Dagworth (d.1401), bust of James de Holveston
(d.1378) and Roger and Cecily Felthorp 1454 (portrayed with their 16 children).
In the nave, a large chest tomb with recumbent figure and attendant angels
at head and foot to William Schomberg Robert, 8th Earl of Lothian (d.1870),
by G.F. Watts 1878. Adjacent to south door a white marble relief by A.G.
Walker to Constance, widow of 8th Marquess (d,1901). C17 pulpit on coved
pedestal, hexagonal. Octagonal C15 font with lions in panels around bowl,
angel-corbels below bowl and four lions around stem. Open ogee cover with
pelican-finial.


Listing NGR: TG1787328455

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.