This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.6976 / 52°41'51"N
Longitude: 0.1758 / 0°10'32"E
OS Eastings: 547126
OS Northings: 313318
OS Grid: TF471133
Mapcode National: GBR M2P.WT1
Mapcode Global: WHJP9.NGXB
Entry Name: Bell Tower of Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 28 July 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1171875
English Heritage Legacy ID: 221858
Location: West Walton, King's Lynn and West Norfolk, Norfolk, PE14
District: King's Lynn and West Norfolk
Civil Parish: West Walton
Built-Up Area: West Walton
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: West Walton St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Ely
WEST WALTON SCHOOL ROAD
TF 41 SE
2/73 Bell Tower of Church
of St. Mary
Detached bell tower, c.1240-50, restored 1907, further major restoration
commenced 1985. Barnack stone. 3 stages, each elevation identical except
that north and south arches contain dog tooth, east and west plain. Pierced
on all sides to provide walkways with undercut moulded arches on piers with
circular responds and 2 orders shafts with moulded capitals and bases. Ground
floor with angle buttresses each with gabled arched niche. Stepped polygonal
buttresses continue to parapet terminating in crocketted finials. Second
stage with arched arcading continuous round buttressing and of 3 bays on
flanks of tower where wall plane recessed to provide external wall passage.
Centre bay with louvred light, blocked arched lights to right and left.
Belfry stage with 2 tiers of continuous arcading, the lower stage interrupted
by 2-light Plate tracery window : uncusped lights support spandrel pierced
by moulded circle : jambs with 4 orders of shafts, each with dog tooth between
and richly moulded and undercut arch. C15 parapet punched with hollow sided
diamond motifs within circles. Interior. Each corner pier with segmental-
headed doorway leading to conically vaulted room except that to south-east.
At south-east the door is blocked but leads to staircase. Occasional pointed
lancets mark staircase through storeys. Only floor joists remain to each
floor except to belfry stage, where bell frame intact. Interior elevation
reflects openings in exterior.
Listing NGR: TF4712613318
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings