History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Octagon

A Grade II* Listed Building in Old Hunstanton, Norfolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.9454 / 52°56'43"N

Longitude: 0.5164 / 0°30'58"E

OS Eastings: 569174

OS Northings: 341631

OS Grid: TF691416

Mapcode National: GBR P2W.CCS

Mapcode Global: WHKPF.X72B

Entry Name: The Octagon

Listing Date: 5 June 1953

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1171881

English Heritage Legacy ID: 221252

Location: Old Hunstanton, King's Lynn and West Norfolk, Norfolk, PE36

County: Norfolk

District: King's Lynn and West Norfolk

Civil Parish: Old Hunstanton

Traditional County: Norfolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Church of England Parish: Hunstanton St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Norwich

Find accommodation in
Hunstanton

Listing Text

TF 6941 OLD HUNSTANTON HUNSTANTON PARK

7/70 The Octagon.
5/6/53
- II*

Garden building. c.1640 for Sir Hamon Le Strange (b.1583) 3rd Bt. possibly
by William Edge, stonemason, then engaged by Sir Roger Townshend at Raynham
Hall. Squared, coursed carstone with galletting, cut stone details moulded
and rubble brick, C20 flat roof in temporary materials. Octagonal on plan,
single storey with a classical frontispiece. Cut stone frontispiece entrance
occupying a whole bay with stone plinth, smooth drafted rustication above.
Central arched doorcase with simple architrave surround with central voussoir
keystone, more fully moulded closed pediment above with modillion cornice
and console brackets. C20 temporary boarded door. Rustication partly
continued into adjoining bays, each with alternately blocked or open mullioned
and transomed cross windows with pediments and rusticated surrounds either
of cut stone or chamfered brick, originally stuccoed now partly exposed.
Smooth rusticated quoins at angles. Battlemented parapet with stone string
course and copings. Said to have been built to remove the noise of Sir Hamon's
violin playing from Hunstanton Hall. "a notable reflection of the Court style
of Inigo Jones in a remote country setting" : H.M. Colvin, Biographical
Dictionary of British Architects 1600 -"1840, (1978), p.281.


Listing NGR: TF6917441631

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.