This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.7034 / 52°42'12"N
Longitude: 1.5226 / 1°31'21"E
OS Eastings: 638081
OS Northings: 317566
OS Grid: TG380175
Mapcode National: GBR XJF.FRP
Mapcode Global: WHMTC.C98W
Entry Name: Ludham Hall Including Attached Chapel
Listing Date: 16 April 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1171892
English Heritage Legacy ID: 224398
Location: Ludham, North Norfolk, Norfolk, NR29
District: North Norfolk
Civil Parish: Ludham
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Ludham St Catherine
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
LUDHAM HALL ROAD
TG 31 NE
8/67 Ludham Hall including
16.4.55 attached chapel
House with chapel, the latter used as a barn. Site of Palace of Bishops of
Norwich, burnt down 1611, rebuilt by Bishop Harsnett, chapel added 1627.
House of flint with ashlar quoins and some brick, refaced late C18 in brick.
Plain tile roof. Chapel of brick with pantile roof. House. East facade
of 2 storeys in 6 bays upon flint plinth. Bays rebated with pilaster strips.
Central 2 bays beneath pediment on plain parapet. Door left of centre in
round arch and blind arch with a segmental tripartite sash to its right.
One further sash to left and right and end bays with tripartite sashes. 6
sashes to first floor. All windows with glazing bars and gauged arches;
skewback or segmental depending on type. Gabled roof with 2 ridge stacks
and internal end stacks to south. Gables and rear of flint and C17. South
gable bears roof line of demolished gabled building. 3 blocked attic windows
and a C20 half glazed door. To south-west 2 storey late C20 extension of
no interest. West front of 2 storeys and 3 wide bays pierced with sashes,
all with glazing bars and gauged skewback arches. Evidence of blocked windows.
North gable head retains its kneelers. Blocked windows each floor except
attic which has renewed 3-light cross casement. Chapel built against north-
east corner of house at right angles with a C18 crenellated linking parapet
between them. West tower, nave and continuous chancel. 3 stage square tower
on flint plinth. Blocked 4-centred west window below square hood. Similar,
but 2-centred, second stage window. Arched belfry window with honeycomb brick
infil. Plain parapet above string course. Gabled nave supported on diagonal
corner buttresses and stepped side buttresses. 4 bays to north and south.
Entrance on south in west bay. 4-centred ashlar doorway below square hood
on labels. Jambs decorated with incised geometric motifs. Above is recessed
date plaque : S. M. 1627. Central 2 bays with blocked round arched windows.
Ashlar jambs with hollow chamfer and chamfer mouldings. East bay blank except
for illegible ashlar plaque. East end C20 : full height timber doors and
rebuilt brickwork. Buttresses survive. North side also 4 bays, lateral ones
blank. Centre bays with one blocked window as before and full height timber
carriage doors in other bay. Roof structure altered and now hipped at east
end. Interior. Partly floored. Roof of tie beams, 2 tiers taper-tenoned
butt purlins and collars. Against west wall a forge with arched flue.
Listing NGR: TG3808117566
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings