This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.7171 / 52°43'1"N
Longitude: 1.5114 / 1°30'41"E
OS Eastings: 637255
OS Northings: 319056
OS Grid: TG372190
Mapcode National: GBR XJ6.QXV
Mapcode Global: WHMT5.5YZW
Entry Name: How Hill House
Listing Date: 12 May 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1171918
English Heritage Legacy ID: 224403
Location: Ludham, North Norfolk, Norfolk, NR29
District: North Norfolk
Civil Parish: Ludham
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Ludham St Catherine
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
LUDHAM HOW HILL ROAD
TG 31 NE
8/72 How Hill House
House. 1903 with later additions, by T.E. Boardman. Roughcast brick and
thatched roof. T. plan. 2 1/2 storeys. Single storey service wings to north
and east and to south a bow fronted living room over a basement level loggia.
Built in a vernacular Jacobean style with studied irregular fenestration of
lead glazed casements with pargetted architraves of trailing vine pattern,
and above, projecting stone hood moulds. Splayed bay window on the east end
of the south front, of 2 storeys with a stone parapet with an open strapwork
design. To its left a stone porch with open semi-circular pediment with
consoles on rusticated pilasters and inscribed T. B. 1904, F. E. B. North
elevation has wide gabled projection with 2 bulls eye windows at each end,
and irregular fenestration. Roofs gabled with moulded timber bargeboards.
3 eyebrow dormers and one gabled dormer to north. Ironwork includes scrolled
gutter brackets, inscribed hopper heads, door handles, latches and window
furniture. Much of the original interior intact, including panelled hall,
staircase and sitting room. Fitted cupboards in bedrooms and landing, and
moulded chimney pieces all in a Country House manner. Designed and built
by T. E. Boardman 1861-1950. Lord Mayor of Norwich 1905, High Sheriff of
Norfolk 1933. E. Boardman and sons were leading East Anglian Victorian and
Edwardian designers of country houses, chapels and public buildings.
Listing NGR: TG3725519056
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings