This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7396 / 51°44'22"N
Longitude: -2.2872 / 2°17'13"W
OS Eastings: 380268
OS Northings: 204587
OS Grid: SO802045
Mapcode National: GBR 0L4.YBY
Mapcode Global: VH94X.9JQR
Entry Name: Bridgend House
Listing Date: 28 June 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1171923
English Heritage Legacy ID: 132046
Location: Stonehouse, Stroud, Gloucestershire, GL10
Civil Parish: Stonehouse
Built-Up Area: Stonehouse
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Stonehouse St Cyr
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO 8004 NW STONEHOUSE DOWNTON ROAD
8/170 Bridgend House
Former large detached house, now 3 houses. Dated W C 1691; mid-
late C18 alterations; mid-late C19 service wing and yard. Random
rubble limestone, all roughcast rendered; red brick; ashlar
chimneys; stone slate and concrete plain tile roofs. Two-storey
with attic; T-plan with single-storey service courtyard. West
front: symmetrical with 2 gables, 9-window sash fenestration, all
12-pane with plain architraves, outer 2 sashes in C18 additions at
either end of front with moulded stone parapets, alternating
chamfered stone quoins, and plain upper floor brick band with
brickwork below. In gables, 2-light chamfered mullioned attic
casements with hoodmoulds and lozenge decorated oval windows in
apex above. Central doorway with moulded architrave, now blocked.
T-plan ridge-mounted ashlar chimney with moulded cap. Late C19
brick service wing to left with cambered arched casements. South
side: end of C18 addition to front range projects forward of gable
end to left with upper floor room supported on stone Tuscan
columns, iron posts between, attached screen wall providing further
extension of front; single 12-pane sash to upper floor. Ground
floor sash to right of C18 addition; 2-light mullioned casement
above and (partially blocked) to attic, both with hoodmoulds.
Single-window fenestration below east-facing gable: blocked sash
opening to ground floor, 2-light to upper floor and blocked 2-light
in gable with oval above having initials W C. Further upper floor
2-light right with late C18 doorway below. South side of east wing
has 2 attic gables, that to left with 2-light mullioned casements
and oval dated 1691; that to right being smaller with 2-light
recessed cavetto mullioned attic casement, oval over; sash to
upper floor, 2 casements below with mullions removed. East end:
gabled with 4-light casement having hoodmould to ground floor with
12-pane sash over and 2-light casement to attic. Service courtyard
adjoins to right. North side: 2 gables, left with projecting
chimney has rebuilt shaft. Sashes with thick glazing bars to
right; 2 light chamfered mullioned casement to ground floor.
Interior: large quantity of fielded panelling throughout house;
shutters to sashes. Original timber spiral stair removed to
Painswick. Extended collar roof construction. Built for William
Clutterbuck, a member of the numerous clothier's family.
(Illustrated in J.H.A. Anderson, Stonehouse: a Pot-Pourri of the
Past in Pictures, n.d; and N.M. Herbert, 'Stonehouse' in V.C.H.
Glos. x, 1972, pp 267-289)
Listing NGR: SO8026804587
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings