This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9906 / 51°59'26"N
Longitude: -1.744 / 1°44'38"W
OS Eastings: 417675
OS Northings: 232497
OS Grid: SP176324
Mapcode National: GBR 4P8.3XB
Mapcode Global: VHB1H.Q7D9
Entry Name: The Retreat
Listing Date: 11 January 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1172063
English Heritage Legacy ID: 128694
Location: Bourton-on-the-Hill, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL56
Civil Parish: Bourton-on-the-Hill
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Bourton-on-the-Hill St Lawrence
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
BOURTON-ON-THE-HILL MAIN STREET
10/56 Nos. 1-4 The Retreat
Detached Almhouses comprising 4 semi-detached cottages. The
RETREAT of the AGED/ERECTED 1831 on stone plaque over central
access arch. Built under patronage of the Rev. Samuel Warneford
(q.v. tomb west of church tower), rector of the parish. Ashlar
limestone, C20 artificial limestone slate roof with ashlar stacks
and limestone gable coping Plan: rectangular block with 2
principal gables brought forward slightly from facade, right and
left of central access passage. 2 storeys. Symmetrical facade
1:2:2:2:1-windowed; Late C19/early C20 two-light casements with
leaded panes within flush stone surrounds with slightly rounded
corners at top. Central stilted arched access passage with plain
projecting architrave and imposts. Entrances to cottages at rear.
Gable end stacks, two axial stacks towards centre also. Flat
Interior not inspected.
Listing NGR: SP1767532497
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings