History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Congregational Chapel

A Grade II* Listed Building in Oulton, Norfolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.8179 / 52°49'4"N

Longitude: 1.1757 / 1°10'32"E

OS Eastings: 614091

OS Northings: 329210

OS Grid: TG140292

Mapcode National: GBR VCY.B1V

Mapcode Global: WHLRH.1F4L

Entry Name: Congregational Chapel

Listing Date: 14 February 1978

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1172066

English Heritage Legacy ID: 228720

Location: Oulton, Broadland, Norfolk, NR11

County: Norfolk

District: Broadland

Civil Parish: Oulton

Traditional County: Norfolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Church of England Parish: Oulton with Irmingland

Church of England Diocese: Norwich

Find accommodation in
Oulton

Listing Text

TG 12 NW OULTON HALL ROAD
(east side)
3/61
14-2-78 Congregational Chapel

- II*

Non-conformist chapel. Dated 1728 on west wall. Red brick; roofs of red
and black-glazed pantiles. One storey with gallery, double-pile plan. West
facade symmetrical, of four bays and two storeys: sashes with glazing bars
and architraves. Segmental heads to ground floor openings. Outer ground
floor bays have doorways with 2-leaf flush-panelled doors. Double shaped
gables to north and south with segmental-headed cross-windows. Platband at
eaves level across north gables. Two segmental-headed cross-windows in east
wall; two doorways, now blocked, lead into gabled red brick annexe now roof-
less and derelict, dated 1839 on north gable. C19 memorial stones set against
west wall. Interior: gallery around three sides supported on wooden Doric
columns and slender iron columns. Symmetrical plan with two entrance lobbies
each with a staircase leading to gallery. Gallery parapet with raised and
fielded panels, fluted pilasters above column-supports. Panelled box-pews
with raked seating. Raised and fielded dado panelling around ground floor;
pulpit and benches later. Two large Doric columns supporting roof structure
along central valley.


Listing NGR: TG1409129210

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.