History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hartpury Court

A Grade II Listed Building in Hartpury, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9104 / 51°54'37"N

Longitude: -2.3205 / 2°19'13"W

OS Eastings: 378050

OS Northings: 223592

OS Grid: SO780235

Mapcode National: GBR 0J5.25F

Mapcode Global: VH943.Q7MT

Entry Name: Hartpury Court

Listing Date: 18 October 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1172186

English Heritage Legacy ID: 125587

Location: Hartpury, Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire, GL19

County: Gloucestershire

District: Forest of Dean

Civil Parish: Hartpury

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Hartpury St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Hartpury

Listing Text

SO 72 SE HARTPURY MURRELLS END ROAD

8/55 Hartpury Court


GV II

Farmhouse; mid C19; random rubble, some squared stones, brought to
courses, ashlar dressings; later ashlar porch; tiled roof.
Irregular plan, 'L' with wings; 2 storey, upper partly in roof.
Facing road: windows hollow chamfered; gable on left, plain plinth,
3-light mullion and transom window, iron opening casement, ground
floor, 2-light similar above, both with hoodmoulds. Slit in gable;
parapet gable with deep kneelers, shallow projection. Right return
2 light mullioned windows with hoodmould ground floor; later
single-storey ashlar porch in corner, single light window, square-
headed door with deep hoodmould drops either side from string
course below crenellated parapet. Above single-light window in
small stone gable, 2-light in corner with leanto roof. Side-wall
of wing projects on right, 2-light mullioned sash below, single-
light in gable above, as other side of porch. Parapet gable on
right; 2-flue ashlar chimney with moulded cap and base at junction
of wings. Left return from first gable blank, set back a stone-
roofed leanto with single-light window, with just beyond rear wall
of leanto range parallel to road: single-light window. 4-flue
ashlar chimney to main block beyond. Rear wall of leanto continued
as link to former Roman Catholic chapel (q.v.), top stepped up over
4-centred arch, with iron gate in sunk spandrels with blank
shields. House built by Cannings of Hartpury House (q.v.), to
replace earlier dwelling, used as convent for nuns from France,
1794 to 1839. (Notes on Hartpury House, kept there).


Listing NGR: SO7804223614

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.