This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9109 / 51°54'39"N
Longitude: -2.3214 / 2°19'17"W
OS Eastings: 377985
OS Northings: 223642
OS Grid: SO779236
Mapcode National: GBR 0J5.1X9
Mapcode Global: VH943.Q73G
Entry Name: Tithe Barn, Hartpury Court
Listing Date: 2 October 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1172209
English Heritage Legacy ID: 125589
Location: Hartpury, Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire, GL19
District: Forest of Dean
Civil Parish: Hartpury
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Hartpury St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO 72 SE HARTPURY MURRELLS END ROAD
8/57 Tithe Barn, Hartpury Court
Barn: C15, altered C18 and C19; for St. Peter's Abbey, Gloucester.
Coursed, squared stone, tiled roof, stone ridges. 11 bays with
with 2 porches on south side. Buttresses square set,original with
plinth and 2 offsets, some rebuilt with 1 slope or as a triangle.
Gable to road, corner and central buttresses, 2 slit air vents.
Left, main face divided into 3 by porches, each section with slit
air vents in outer bays, elliptical-headed doorway with stone
voussoirs and projecting keystone in centre, short slit air vent
over: sliding door internally. In first section air vent adjoining
porch replaced by square-headed window, stone voussoirs, projecting
keystone. Porch walls same height as barn: diagonal corner
buttresses: parapet gable with projecting kneelers, cross-gablet
apex with decorative stone finial. Doorways chamfered jambs, first
porch with pointed head, infilled boarding, with 2 openings for
pigeons or owls; below double boarded doors. Second porch
elliptical head to opening, doors missing. Main roof red tiles,
with blue forming overall pattern on south side only, north plain.
Parapet gables, with heraldic animal on apex. Back wall, square-
headed, low openings to threshing floors, second walled up.
Between slit air vents, elliptical-headed small openings in second
and third sections only. On south side C19 brick-walled cow yard,
English bond, stone coping, corner piers; runs from first porch to
west end. East wall raised slightly in part mid C20.
Interior: East porch opens onto stone-paved threshing floor: on
left 2 rows cowtying run rest of length of barn, facing each other
across feeding passage with tramway and waggon surviving. Left
side low brick wall bullnose top, brick trough with timber edge,
original timber posts: rough rails between an alteration. Right
side higher wall with openings at regular intervals for feeding:
some hooks for sliding shutters remain; trough: head end of
partitions between pairs of cows survives in most cases. Roof: 2
original braced collar trusses, either side east threshing floor;
curved wind braces. Truss at west end 1981; remainder probably
C18, very unusual type, collar, kingpost, braces to collar extend
under feet of principal rafters. 3 pairs purlins. Collars clasp
principal rafters, thicker in centre than at ends to west of
threshing floor. Built as tithe barn; new roof trusses probably
C18, largely converted to cow house in mid C19, when patterned roof
applied and elliptical-headed small doors cut. Cows on north for
milking, south fat stock, east end of barn threshing in 1919. Roof
to covered yard not of special interest. (Sale Catalogue, Hartpury
Estate, 1919; notes on barn by J.E.C. Peters, 1978.)
Listing NGR: SO7797723644
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings